Notices

Calls to US from Egypt and Jordan

Sep 19th, 2010, 10:55 AM
jat
Original Poster

Calls to US from Egypt and Jordan

I will be in Egypt and Jordan for three weeks soon, and have been trying to figure out the best method for calling my elderly parents in the U.S. when I am there. A related issue is that I would like to bring my laptop computer (so I could use Skype, although I can't figure out how much that costs to use for calling a landline phone in the US), but am not sure what to do with it on days in which I check out of one hotel in the morning and don't check into another hotel until that evening. I will be going on a tour organized by Lady Egypt, including a Nile cruise. Any advice/information/recommendations concerning (1) the most convenient/reasonable way to call landline phones in the US and (2) whether it is possible to take a laptop on a Lady Egypt tour would be much appreciated!
Sep 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Get a phone that takes a SIM card. You can buy a SIM card here for next to nothing and insert it in your phone. Once you've done that, you can purchase time at a reasonable rate to call home. It's easy, and it's pretty economical.
Skype works too, but you are right, you have to have a place to leave the laptop on some days. I would think LE would take care of it in their vans for you, but if you can stash it inside your suitcase, it would be better.
I am SURE hundreds of LE customers have carried laptops before.
Sep 19th, 2010, 01:34 PM

<<>>

It has to take a SIM card, and it has to be an unlocked phone.

When we were in Egypt, we just used our regular AT&T account, but it's very expensive per minute that way, and we were calling the US very infrequently. In your situation, I think CC is right, but be sure you have a phone you can use for this purpose. You can get an unlocked GSM phone on ebay.
Sep 19th, 2010, 03:30 PM
jat
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I'll check with Amanda at Lady Egypt regarding keeping a laptop in the van during the day-perhaps locked in my suitcase. In other countries, I have bought a calling card and used it to call from pay phones. Is that an option?

Search this Thread