Cairo with kids

Jun 1st, 2000, 03:37 AM
CAS

Cairo with kids

We will be in Cairo for about a week with our three kids early next year. Does anyone have ideas for good hotels that would be kid-friendly and reasonable? Any particularly kid-oriented Nile cruises? (Sounds like any would be awesome to a 12-year-old!) We'll also be in Israel for a week and are looking for a central place to stay, from which we will take day trips--again, safe and appealling/interesting to kids.

Thanks,
CAS

Jun 1st, 2000, 09:56 AM
rck

Hi CAS. Be careful and be awed. The flight is long (if from usa) and be prepared to sleep away a day to get adapted. Lived in Maadi for 2 years. 20 kilometers out of Cairo. Pullman hotel is on Nile. Nice pool overlooking Nile. On clear day you can see pyramids. Egypt is like walking into a living history book. A faluka is a smaller boat and many provide trips along the Nile or there are bigger cruise boats with offerings from Cairo to Aswan/Hurgada. Try not to touch Nile water. It is polluted and can transfer parasites. Do not drink tap water. Do not eat off of street vendors. Do not take ice in your drinks. That is just like drinking tap water. If you order a bottled water (Baraka) make sure it is sealed when you get it. I'm sure there are now many Westernized types of restaurants around town that are safe and familiar to a statesider but still order foods well done. Don't be scared, just precautious. If you are not staying at the pyramids (Giza) stay outside of Cairo. By the way, Cairo does not smell like a spring day in the country. There are 18 million people in the city and the air and car exhaust fumes can be choking. Remember that this is a third world country and most of the population does not have running water or toilets. Where do thay shower and where do they go to the bathroom? They don't and anywhere. Make sure the kids know this is not Disneyworld. More like an Indiana Jones movie. Have the kids do some research about ancient Egypt. When they see something familiar they will relate better. I could ramble on forever and tell you things to see that tourists don't. If you have questions E-mail me. I can be more to the point. Let me say this, leave the usa (or wherever) behind and you will be in for the adventure of your life. I loved the people and the area. My wife was tepid.

Jun 4th, 2000, 02:33 PM
Bill

Hi CAS
The Egyptians love kids and you will be treated well with your kids. We went for the Millennium concert with our 12year old and it will be one of the more memorable times of his life. He was always given more attention than us and the educational experience about the rest of the world can't be matched. We spent time in the markets and we did prepare him about the fact that this is a very poor country and he adjusted well the the conditions. Go on a cruise if you can the kids will love it. If you have any questions just ask.
Dec is a good time to travel not to hot
Bill

Jun 28th, 2000, 11:32 AM
Lisa

Hi rck:
some questions for you...my husband, mother-in-law, aunt, 8 year old son, and two 1/2 year old daughter will be going to Egypt for a week at the end of August via Palestine. We're looking into hotels that can accommodate all 6 of us (ie; Hilton Residence) any knowledge of these places or suggestions? We planned on staying in one place the entire time and doing day trips from there. However, not sure if we should stay in one or two other places and if we should do a cruise. Any info would be great. We leave the states on July 15.

Search this Thread