Cairo taxis

Mar 5th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Cairo taxis

Are taxis in Cairo a good way to get around? Do you negotiate? Tip? What is the apporx US dollar charge from Cairo airport to downtown?
Thank you
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:53 PM

I was in Cairo in June 2000. I grabbed a taxi from the airport (arrived approx. 11pm) - no problem. I think I paid 25$. I didn't haggle for anything in Cairo (althought I didn't buy souvenirs). Taxis are cheap and I had the money and you'll see that the Cairenes need it. I had a few minor issues walking alone around the city - but I probably got way off the beaten path. Take a taxi.
Mar 6th, 2005, 01:37 AM

Yes, taxis are a cheap and very easy way to get around Cairo. Depending where you are going, the metro is incredibly clean and efficient so that's a good transport option as well within the city.

You will notice locals just get in without any negotiation. This is something to do with locals knowing what the fare will cost. However, as a tourist, you should not do this. You should negotiate before (it's useful to have a ballpark figure for the cost of your trip) and agree a price before you get in. It helps to make sure you have the right amount to pay since the driver may well claim not to have any change for you.

You may well end up paying a bit more than what a local would for your taxi trips (unless you are a hard negotiator) but when converted to $$, we're talking small amounts.
Mar 6th, 2005, 03:12 AM

The price negotiated upon entry to taxi will likely be different than amount demanded upon exit. It really is rather amusing, as we heard a variety of creative reasons why this was so (traffic, sore leg, limited English skills) - so you may have a renegotiation session upon exit. We found by throwing in a few more dollars/pounds that we would have designated as a tip anyway, all parties were satisfied.

Be ready for the ride of your life - no need to pay for theme park rollar coasters after a cab ride in Cairo.

Search this Thread