Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Cairo Protests & the Cairo Museum (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cairo-protests-and-the-cairo-museum-875762/)

MissGreen Jan 29th, 2011 10:24 PM

Cairo Protests & the Cairo Museum

I just heard that looters broke in to the Museum, but luckily it was a very isolated incident even though a few items were damaged. Some say some of King Tut's items were damaged. I hope that is a rumour.

Zahi Hawass must be beside himself with fear and worry.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...asures-damaged

Good luck to the museum and those protecting the wonderous items in it.

MissGreen Jan 29th, 2011 10:27 PM

Update for 8:50 p.m. Jan. 29: The Daily Mail says Hawass has acknowledged that the looters targeted Tut's treasures.

"They tried to attack and rob from the showcases of King Tut, but they failed," Hawass is quoted as saying. "These people are criminals, they are not true Egyptians. The nine men were caught carrying skulls and two statues, one of which was broken. But the army are now guarding the museum and all the museums are now safe."

karend2 Jan 30th, 2011 02:15 AM

CNN said a few mummies had been broken but they can be fixed. They also said at this point a human chain has been built around the museum to protect it. They have to do all they can to protect this museum.

qwovadis Jan 30th, 2011 05:02 AM

My prayers are with the true Egyptians protecting

their wonderful heritage of antiquities...

chris45ny Jan 30th, 2011 05:57 AM

It's a shame that "hooligans" are taking advantage of this situation to perpetuate these acts of destruction. A true Egyptian who loves and wants the best for his/her country would not be trying to destroy his/her heritage. If these remains of antiquity are destroyed, part of the soul of Egypt will be destroyed also. I pray for a quick resolution before more people are hurt and Egypt gets to a place where it can never recover. Hopefully, the military and Egypt's people will continue to protect the history of this wonderful country.

sandi Jan 30th, 2011 03:26 PM

Just heard this on the evening news, commented on by Bob Brier (sp) a well-know Egyptologist from the States... and I cried. Though by then the military (not police who aren't at all in favor by the Egyptian people) were protecting the many historical sites, best they can.

Zahi looked so terribly upset and no wonder... so much of his life has gone into saving the Egyptian history, of course, with many others whose names we'll never know, unless they have a show on Discovery.

It's as if our Smithsoneon or similar institutions in other countries (think Baghdad 10/yrs ago), were attacked and looted.

Katie2 Jan 30th, 2011 04:12 PM

This news just breaks my heart. We have been following the news all day about Egypt. My husband and I were in Cairo and Alexandria this past Oct. When we were on our way to Alexandria from Giza, our guide pointed out to us an area which was being bulldozed for the new Egyptian Museum. It was at least a mile long. He told us that the current museum couldn't hold all of the artifacts they had.

I cannot imagine destroying part of your culture. Thankfully, the Museum is being protected now.

Katie2 Jan 30th, 2011 04:14 PM

I meant from Cairo to Giza.

sf7307 Jan 30th, 2011 06:53 PM

They're still bulldozing? The new museum was under construction when we were there 2-1/2 years ago!

BeniciaChris Jan 30th, 2011 07:07 PM

chris45ny-My sentiments exactly-Chris also

PamR Jan 31st, 2011 10:40 AM

I understand that some of the archaeological sites have been raided by looters. Mit Rahina (Memphis), Abusir, some parts of Saqqara (pyramid of Pepi I, some small tombs and storage magazines), part of the Giza plateau site. The good news is the villagers in Luxor have been protecting sites there ever since the police walked off. Some archaeologists left, but others are still on their sites working (Barry Kemp at Amarna, Renee Friedman at Hierakonpolis, Chicago House in Luxor). I know how all of you who have seen these things (or want to see them) must be feeling, so I hope this information helps -- the good parts, that is!

albertsebastian Jan 31st, 2011 12:24 PM

Looters have been targetting pyramids, tombs, temples and burial sites for the last 6000 years...why would this situation be any different?

Unfortunately there will always be selfish people taking advantage of the situation, where greed takes first place over national pride and heritage