Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Cairo Museum. How much from the Tutankhamun wing has been removed for the United States tour?

Cairo Museum. How much from the Tutankhamun wing has been removed for the United States tour?

Mar 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM
kp
Original Poster

Cairo Museum. How much from the Tutankhamun wing has been removed for the United States tour?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has visited the Tutankhamun wing of the Cairo Museum recently and can report if the removal of some of the objects for the US tour has had a noticable effect. If I recall correctly I read an article which stated that some of the more famous pieces, such as the gold mask, would not be included in the tour.
Mar 19th, 2005, 02:03 PM

I was there the end of January & the gold mask was there. I think I read that only the lesser pieces would be removed.
Mar 20th, 2005, 04:41 AM
kp
Original Poster

Thanks Sunshine! The information you provided is very helpful. I think we'll plan to include the Tutankhamun wing when we visit the museum.
Mar 20th, 2005, 11:44 AM

I may have misremembered. There's an article in the NYTimes.com on the US Tour. Go to nytimes.com/Travel and then search for Tut!. It discusses the US tour. There also was (is) a similar tour of his treasures in Europe (Germany I think.) that may give you more information on which items are part of the tour.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:25 PM

We were there two weeks ago (and live in the LA area!!). There were postcard signs where something had been removed for international exhibit. Nothing to worry about. Whatever had been removed they had at least three similar things still there (for example 4 necklaces with one removed for another exhibition). My husband swore the mask was on exhibition at LACMA during the last King Tut show, but the beautiful mask was in Cairo so maybe there is a smaller one???!!!!

Search this Thread