Cairo - Memphis or Dahshur

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cairo - Memphis or Dahshur

We have a tour to the pyramids. We can add on a visit to the Memphis or Dahshur. Which would you recommend?
Thanks
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 07:20 PM

While I have been to Memphis, I cannot say same for Dashur. There is little left of historical Memphis as most of it has been swallowed up by the surrounding farmlands. There's a small museum that you would visit and it has a few statues of Ramses II including a prone colossal one, a few others. Not much especially if this is at the end of your tour.

If given the choice, I would opt for Dahshur. I would really like to see the Red Pyramid and would love to see the Bent Pyramid. For me, that would be unique.

I trust you're seeing the Step Pyramid at Saqqara?

Have a great trip!
Regards, Bruce

Egypt Photo Gallery - http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...level2_all.htm
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Saqqara. How long would it take to stop in the Memphis Museum to see the Ramses statue? Would it be possible to stop in for 30 minutes on the way back from Dashur?
Our guide said it would be too much to add in one day...
We have the Great Pyramid, Sphinx, Dashur, and Saqqara for one day. Hoping to add the Memphis highlights.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 05:40 AM
rfb

There is really nothing worthwhile at Memphis. The statue is interesting but not unique in any way; you will see similar if smaller ones everyplace.

Dashur is well worth the time; dont miss it. Doing Giza and Dashur and Saqqara in one day will be very tiring and probably too much sensory overload. You would do much better to do them on separate days. Ideally, each should have a day for itself. Go in the morning and save the afternoon for other things. Travel time from Cairo to Giza is reasonable, but Dashur and Saqqara will take around an hour each way. I really think you're trying to do too much in one day.

Old Oct 6th, 2004, 01:28 PM
sandi

We've been to Memphis and Saqqara, but not Dashur. But if it's a matter of allocating your time, from our experience, we had a very busy first day, but not tiring at all.

We did the Pyramids and Sphinx in the morning, then went for a leisurely lunch. Memphis & Saqqara were done in the afternoon. We spent more then enough time at sites in the morning and afternoon and were never rushed.

On the way back to hotel we even stopped to do some shopping and still managed to shower and change and return to the Giza plateau for a performance of AIDA.

Except for a brief rush-hour traffic delay returning to the hotel, we never ran into traffic tieups. Our hotel was located on the Giza side of the Nile, which might have been a benefit.

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 08:31 PM

I'm in agreement with the others - skip Memphis and see Dahshur. There isn't that much to see and the small museum and grounds don't have a lot to offer except to the most diehard of Egyptologists. You will see much in the way of ancient Egypt in your travels there.

If you are headed south after Cairo to all the ancient spots (Luxor/Karnak, Edfu, Kom Ombo, Abu Simbel, etc) you might consider optimizing Cairo around Old and Islamic Cairo. It's truly unique and your one opportunity.

Regards, Bruce
Egypt Photo Gallery - http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...level2_all.htm