Cairo in the afternoon - what to do?

Jul 25th, 2000, 09:24 AM
Kim

Cairo in the afternoon - what to do?

We will be in Cairo for three days in mid-September. We have scheduled the "requisite" activities each day (Giza plateau, Egyptian Museum, and the Bazaar).

Would love some suggestions on what to do in the late afternoon/evenings(recommended sights to see, restaurants, etc).

We are thinking of the Sound and Light show one night, and would like to perhaps have dinner nearby, capture some sunset pictures at the pyramids then take in the show (Has anyone been there done that???)

Thanks so much for your suggestions, and safe travels.

Jul 26th, 2000, 04:08 PM
Dick

Kim, we returned on July 2 from Globus tour which included Museum, giza sites and bazar. Daughters did not like Bazar. On our last nite we took in the sound and light show at pyramids. Enjoyed it. OUrs was first one of the evening so it was possible to get there see sunset and take pictures. We stayed at Mena HOuse Hotel and enjoyed the evening buffet. Have a good time.

Aug 2nd, 2000, 12:53 PM
Wei Huang

You have opened a pandora box by asking what to do in Cairo besides seeing the traditional sights.

Try the Nile dinner-belly dancing cruise. I took two of them and I recommend Marriott's Nile Maxim cruise, the food is good and the entertainment is OK (but then I have see Turkish belly dancing and it is better than Egyptian belly dancing). The overall cost to you for the Nile Maxim ride (boat located on the pier just outside Cairo Marriott on Gezira isalnd)is higher than the Scarabee Nile dinner cruise (the boat is located at a different pier diagonally across from the Nile Maxim). Scarabe's buffet foods and entertainment is so-so.

I was a bit disappointed with the Sound and Light show at the Pyramid. They have the same thing for the past twenty years (See James Bond's "The Spy Who Loves Me" for a short version of the Sound and Light show). They charge you for using the bathroom on location and you had to buy toilet papers because there is no paper in the stolls.

Search this Thread