Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   CAIRO HOTELS (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cairo-hotels-66870/)

Werner Herzog Mar 29th, 2000 01:57 PM

CAIRO HOTELS

Hello -- <BR> <BR>Planning on my first trip to Cairo in August and would appreciate any tips on good/reasonable hotels. <BR>Also, I was quoted a price of $1448 round-trip via Egypt Air from JFK Airport NYC. Does this sound reasonable? <BR> <BR>Werner

Karen Mar 30th, 2000 02:01 PM

We stayed at the Mena House. It's very close to the pyramids, and absolutely lovely. <BR>

Alice Mar 31st, 2000 08:19 PM

The Mena House is gorgeous but <BR>definitely not in the reasonable <BR>price range at $200 to $300 a <BR>night. It's pretty amazing, <BR>though, to sit out by the pool <BR>side and sip tea while these <BR>incredible monuments loom over <BR>you. <BR>

Susan Apr 8th, 2000 10:58 AM

If the Mount Everest Hotel is still there it cost me $10 a night for a room, shared bath in mid eighties.

Bruce Apr 8th, 2000 05:32 PM

We stayed at the Nile Hilton. It was a nice hotel and near all. <BR>Bruce

Sheryl Apr 20th, 2000 12:34 AM

I could help more if you defined "reasonable." All the major downtown hotels are lovely but in the $200 price range -- the Sheraton, Marriott, Hilton, Semiramis, etc. Any of them would be convenient if that is a reasonable price for you. Also, August is low season a bit, so you may get a better price than during the winter months.

Stephen May 21st, 2000 04:46 PM

I booked a flight through a local Arabic travel agency with Lufthansa, from Boston to Cairo, via Frankfurt. <BR>$770.00 round trip p/p <BR>The price was the same if I left from JFK. E-mail, if you would like specifics. BTW, this will be my third time in Egypt and 1st as a civilian (on our honeymoon) and can't wait to return.

Sari Jun 4th, 2000 08:58 PM

DO stay at the Marriott.. I was recently in Cairo in May.. And stayed at the Marriott for 10 days. I will tell you..I felt like a queen! It is so beautiful inside and out and the service is wonderful. It was made around a original palace made for the French Empress to have a decent place to stay 200 years ago. AND if you book online.. look under room rates.. and you will find a room there available for $95.. and Well worth it for being a 5-star hotel.

Joanna Jun 7th, 2000 08:04 PM

Have stayed at the Ramses Hilton, Mena House, Semiramis and Cairo Marriott. The Ramses Hilton definitely comes first on my list, followed by the Marriott. Semiramis ok but reception staff unenthusiastic and atmosphere a bit cold. Mena House great for pyramids area but not really central. One time we were put in the President, a hotel on one of the islands in the Nile, instead of the Semiramis. Rooms on lower floors very dingy but upstairs not too bad at all and reasonably inexpensive. A nice cellar bar/restaurant next door.

Ashley Jun 26th, 2000 07:01 AM

The Mena House was paradise and ideally located! We went to a party at the Marriott in Zemalek which was also gorgeous! <BR> <BR>We got a flight for $840 roundtrip from Florida through JFK to Cairo so your rate is a little high (we went end of May 2000-June 2000). Go to lowestfare.com and look for a better rate.

Julie Jan 29th, 2001 07:10 AM

We have not yet gone to Egypt (will be leaving in three weeks); <BR>Egypt Air has a poor reputation. TWZ flies direct from JFK to Cairo. there are other (perhaps cheaper alternatives) with one stop. The $1448 sounds quite high. <BR>We will be staying at Mena House with the tour, but on our own will try Windsor Hotel which sounds as if it has real character. It has a web site; the deluxe doubles are $56.50 including taxes and breakfast. I don't know if they have air conditioning and that would be critical in August. They have a web site (get to it by www.askjeeves and type in Windsor Hotel Cairo)

ali Jan 29th, 2001 10:26 PM

hi werner, <BR> <BR> please get your advises from all friends ,once you decide the hotel you go for ,let me know i will quote best low season rates at cairo 5 stars . <BR>every summer we block hundred of rooms for our in coming tourist to cairo <BR>good luck

jodi Jan 30th, 2001 12:13 AM

The Marriott on Zemalek(sp?) very well located, absolutely beautiful and the pyramids way in the distance from my balcony. The staff and amenities perfectly acceptable. While the Mena House is wonderful!! it is way out of the way for anything but the pyramids and getting there through Cairo traffic can be a nightmare.

Smiles Mar 24th, 2001 06:01 AM

Your airfare seems expensive. I booked through airfareplanet.com in Feb for an Oct trip to Cairo. Roundtrip from Bos with stopover (1.5 hrs each way) in Milan was $822.00. For hotels, I booked via internet and have 3 nights at Cairo Marriott at $85/night + tax and 2 nights at Sheraton in Giza @ $85+ night. If those are the high season rates, you should be able to do better. Have fun.,

wagih Mar 26th, 2001 08:00 PM

hi how are you ;i want to till you somthing when you go to EGYPT you will be in need to go every where not to stay in a room not the stars not the size not any thing exept where that you can fund a good staff to help you overall all of them are ok ,if you have more qustions plz send me E:MAIL .,,wagih.