Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Cairo Four Seasons at the First Residence - Nile or Pyramid Views? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cairo-four-seasons-at-the-first-residence-nile-or-pyramid-views-872373/)

Marianna Jan 7th, 2011 05:50 AM

Cairo Four Seasons at the First Residence - Nile or Pyramid Views?

We will be staying at this hotel for 3 nights prior to our Nile cruise and again for one night at the end of our trip. If you have stayed here or are familiar with it, which do you recommend - Nile or pyramid views?

pattyshearts Jan 7th, 2011 08:11 AM

When do you plan on taking this cruise and what cruise line is it? We are schedule to also take a cruise in april on Uniworld. We will be staying at the Marriott. A friend of mine stayed at the 4 seasons. I do not know which one though. She was pleased. You cannot go wrong with any one of them. Check a map though to see which one is most convenient. You can check their websites.

Actually I was thinking about whether we should still go. I am not usually concerned with traveling but I read in the NY Times that the unrest in Egypt is likely to get worse. what do you think?

Axel2DP Jan 7th, 2011 08:24 AM

>>I read in the NY Times that the unrest in Egypt is likely to get worse. what do you think?<<

I'd imagine security is really beefed up at all the major touristy sites, and if you're traveling as part of a tour then you're probably sheltered from a lot of stuffs. I would see if your government, ie the State Department has a travel site in the U.S., has issued any warnings concerning travelling to Egypt and then it comes down to what you're comfortable with.

Marianna Jan 7th, 2011 09:32 AM

I checked US gov website and did not see any travel warnings or alerts for travel to Egypt.

Marianna Jan 7th, 2011 10:05 AM

BTW, first time ever, we got trip insurance when we made our reservations.

Anyway, I would still love some comments about this hotel - best floor for view, pyramid view or Nile view. We have a deluxe room which puts somewhere on floors 7-20.

sf7307 Jan 7th, 2011 11:34 AM

<<<BTW, first time ever, we got trip insurance when we made our reservations.>>>

I'm really curious about this -- would your trip insurance cover you if you just changed your mind about going?

Marianna Jan 7th, 2011 12:55 PM

Yes.

Casual_Cairo Jan 7th, 2011 08:47 PM

Re the hotel - There is NO guarantee you'll see the pyramids if the weather is bad, so go for the Nile view. Hard to miss the Nile. It would be a shame to have the pyramids view and never see them. They are a zillion miles from that hotel so it has to be a VERY clear day to see them.

Marianna Jan 8th, 2011 02:53 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Casual_Cairo. We will probably go with that. I did read somewhere that the hotel has corner rooms with both views os maybe that is an option.

TravellerB Jan 9th, 2011 03:16 AM

I think you can't see the Pyramids from there, by the way both are excellent