Cairo/Egypt

Feb 21st, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Cairo/Egypt

I'd like to visit Egypt this year. I bought a book about Cairo in which, pretty much every paragraph provided a new reason to never go there.

What is the best way to see the Pyramids of Giza and the valley of the kings? Where should I stay?
Feb 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM
sandi

If every guidebooks says not to go, can't imagine why they bothered to write a guidebook.

As anywhere in the world today one has to use caution, even in ones own country, but Egypt is a wonderful country to visit, great sights, friendly and warm people and since tourism is a big moneymaker for them, they go out of their way to assure that visitors are safe. Egypt is not a country to be missed.

Do a search on this board and read the many trip reports that visitors have posted here. If you have the opportunity to travel here, you'll have wonderful tales to tall.

Feb 21st, 2005, 10:54 AM

I just returned from Egypt & while the Pyramids left me in awe I have no desire to go back. I spent a week in Cairo which, to me, was too long. It only took a couple of days to see the city, Giza,Memphis & Saqqara & the museums & other sites I wanted to see in Cairo. Then I day tripped out to Alexandria & spent a few days in Sinai & Sharm before catching my boat on the Nile. Tour is the way to go. Be sure to see Abu Simbel. I recommend Aswan to Luxor route for cruise. Oberoi Philae, Sonesta & Movenpick boats appreared to me to be best choices. I stayed at Mena House in Cairo, Old Cataract in Aswan & Old Winter Palace in Luxor. There are literally hundreds of tour operators in Egypt & appear to all offer similar tour options. I have found this forum to have excellent insight into many of the places in the world I want to experience.

Search this Thread