Cairo Downtown or Giza Area?

May 24th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Cairo Downtown or Giza Area?

I am planning to spend four nights in Cairo. 1 1/2 days for central Cairo sights and another two days for Giza and Saqqara/Dashur. Initially I will have a hotel in downtown, at the moment, the Conrad. I was then thinking of moving for two nights to Giza - Mena House or Four Seasons. Is it worth moving due to traffic in Cairo? How much time/effort am I really saving by moving?
May 25th, 2013, 03:59 AM

Two facts you should know before you decide to move.
1 - The Mena House is no longer an Oberoi property. I haven't seen it since they let it go so I can't say if it is up to the old standards or not, but they did just have a big dance out there last night that some friends went to. I'll ask if they thought the service and all was the same as before and let you know.
2 - The Four Seasons First Res (tecnically is in Giza) is NOT out near the Pyramids. It is right on the River, just south of where the Conrad is. If you can afford the Four Seasons though, it would be better than the Conrad....completely different area of town, but NOT near the pyramids. Technically anything on the west side of the river is in Giza FYI.
Jun 4th, 2013, 04:03 PM

I stayed at the Mena House. I didn't think traffic was a huge issue. I don't recall it taking us ages to get anywhere. I loved the drive through the traffic looking at everything. If I went again I'd stay there again. Hopefully it is up to the same standards.

Search this Thread