Cairo dirty streets

Nov 6th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Cairo dirty streets

In an older post, there was a comment about how dirty Cairo streets are and it's inadviseable to wear sandals there. Has anyone been there more recently and can comment. Thanks - we're going in December
Nov 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Yup, I would tend to concur - although our visit wasn't that recent. Although, a good scrub with soap would take care of most everything, if you really want to wear sandals.
Nov 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM

You will see LOTS of Egyptians wearing sandals, but I wouldn't. In 4 years....I don't think I ever wore sandals - except at the beach.

You have several things to think about....

- Cairo is located on the edge of a desert...so dust and sand and dirt are to be expected everywhere. (Shoot, I'm unpacking boxes that have been in storage 3 years and finding "Cairo dust!").

- The streets aren't all concrete or asphalt or whatever. Many are old and worn with lots of broken bits.

- It's not just cars that "inhabit" the streets...there are people and camels and sheep and cows....(well, you get the idea)

- There are no sewer drains. So, while the Egyptian are usually very good about hosing down the streets in front of where they live (or work)....the debris just moves down the block a little. It doesn't really go far.

If you really want to wear sandals - go for it. But just watch your step and be prepared!
Nov 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM

I on the other hand have not had a proper pair of shoes on since last March.

It is starting to get cool enough now though that I will be soon thinking of moving to real shoes.
Nov 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Cairo's streets are still dirty.

For people here as tourist and is not familiar with Cairo, I think suggest wearing tennis shoes or other shoes which cover the feet (or at least lift your feet above ground level) and are comfortable to walk in. You don't need boots anywhere except when it's cold. Or even hiking shoes.

As for me, I'm between Grxx and Casual.
It depends where I'm going. For example, there are some places where I usually wear tennis shoes or clogs (in the Khan al Khalili.) Or any other of the other old Cairo places.

But in Zamalek I wear sandals when weather permits. In the desert areas (even the pyramids) I usually wear flip flops b/c we're walking on sand.

I think I was the one who