Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Cairo - crossing July 26 bridge from Bulaq to Zamalek (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cairo-crossing-july-26-bridge-from-bulaq-to-zamalek-741353/)

sylbea Oct 7th, 2007 04:38 PM

Cairo - crossing July 26 bridge from Bulaq to Zamalek

In our guide book this is called the July 26 bridge(?). I really don't know if I am calling it correctly or not but is it possible to walk over it to get to Zamalek? Is there a pedestrian walk-way along the side? Is it safe to cross the brigde on foot? Would there be places to eat on the Zamalek side? We do alot of walking but I cannot tell how far it is. Thanks for any help.

Casual_Cairo Oct 7th, 2007 08:48 PM

Sure, it's totally walkable. There are sidewalks up on the bridge once you get there, and on the Zamalek side there are steps down from the bridge to the surface level.

Getting to the bridge might be more of a problem than you'd like. The streets at the cornishe are busy and the bridge is busy so if at any time you end up on the wrong side of the street from where you want to be, crossing the street is going to be difficult if not impossible, but if you manage to make it up on the bridge, it's totally walkable.
And, yes, when you get to the Zamalek side there are lots of nice restaurants and other things to do. That's why I am always urging people to stay in a hotel on the Zamalek side so you are close to all the good stuff to do.

The Cairo Marriott and Longchamps are your two best choices, but there are loads of others if they are full or not to your liking.

Good luck, have fun.

sylbea Oct 8th, 2007 10:55 AM

Thanks, Casual Cairo. We are on a tour and our hotel is the Conrad. Can you suggest any restaurants near the bridge? I was looking at L'Aubergine. I found a website for restaurants but it does not list them according to areas. I will take a taxi (four of us) if we wander too far but we need to walk that first afternoon!!

I have been watching the weather and it seems as it is beginning to get in the mid 80's. Am I correct?

Thanks for all the help you give us on the Fodor's board. We will be there in two weeks.

Casual_Cairo Oct 9th, 2007 04:07 AM

The Conrad is not the most walk away-able hotel in the city, but you might manage if the traffic does not scare you. But, like you said, take a taxi if all else fails.

Restaurants in Zamalek -
Yes, L'Aubergine is one if you want vegetarian.
La Bodega is another International one that people enjoy. I've enjoyed their salmon and steak dishes in the past.
Abou el Sid (pronounced SEED) is probably the most fun restaurant in the neighborhood.

All 3 of those are within an easy walk of each other. La Bodega is ON 26th of July. Abou el Sid is around the corner from La Bodega (at the corner where you will find the bookstore Diwan), and L'Aubergine is down around the next corner from Abou el Sid. There is also a British bar called Deals in the neighborhood too.
The garden restaurant at the Marriott is lovely too. I probably prefer it almost most of all.
Then there are all the good restaurants on the boats that tie up and sit stationary near the Marriott and south along the island. Each boat probably has 5 to 9 restaurants on it, so explore.

One website you might check out is www.otlob.com. It will have restaurants listed for Zamalek, or rather restaurants that will deliver to Zamalek, but it will have their menus listed so you can see if it might have food you want to eat.

sylbea Oct 9th, 2007 09:13 AM

Thanks for the website. I found it most interesting. I like to try different foods so I am sure we will enjoy ourselves. I will let you know how everything went when we return.