Reload this Page >

Cairo & Sharm El Sheik Dining???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 04:25 PM
Mike

We are going to Cairo and Shram in August for 2 weeks. Can anyone recommend good restaurants in either place---price is not a concern---we just want to experience the best food the areas have to offer

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 12:27 AM
Andy Poole

Can't talk about Cairo as we only ate in the hotel there but in Sharm there is a wide choice.<BR><BR>Because a lot of Italians go there, you'll find no shortage of Italian restaurants. Perhaps we didn't find the best places but the food we had was good but not exceptional. <BR><BR>We'd just come from a Nile cruise on the Oberoi Philae and the food there was out of this world so it was a hard act to follow.<BR><BR>Our tour guide on the Nile said try the Lebanese restaurant in the western end of Sharm (the busy part)as he thought it was the best but apart from some ethnic starters, the rest of the menu was pretty international. (We did get the honeymooners table overlooking the entertainment area inside though.)<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 12:06 AM
Lori

We enjoyed Felfelas in Cairo (mentioned by others on this forum)--don't know if that is fancy enough for you though...

Old May 9th, 2001, 12:23 PM
jade

In Cairo, have dinner at the Indian Restaurant at the Mena House Hotel out by the pyramids. Excellent food and gracious service.

Old May 13th, 2001, 11:50 AM
sherin

it is very easy to find something to eat in egypt ,cairo is the capital,you can find all types of resturant any where in every street ,,,name any street and you can find low level ,5 stars level and even the famous take away as kentacky,pizza hut or others <BR>there are famous egyptian manu ,you can find it also in the famous resturent in any hotel <BR>i recommend eating in one of the nile cruise where you cross the cairo part of the nile river with open salad manu enjoying a dancing programme working for lunch and dinner withdiff. schedule..it is easy to find,,in sharm there is alot of resturent in every hotel ...egyptian love eating and dancing enjoy the vecation

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:17 AM
jade

have also heard the indian restaurant in the hotel sofitel in sharm is very good. we didn't try it but did walk around the hotel grounds. it's very pretty and set away from the other hotels on the "strip" in sharm.

Old May 18th, 2001, 03:47 AM
Mily

While in Cairo, try the restaurant at the Sheraton Hotel by the river. It is a very nice restaurant (somewhat upscale) serving local food. Because the exchange rate was good (US$) we didn't spend much on very nice meals.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 11:40 PM
sarah

i would recommend a restaurant in cairo (there r 3 branches of it) called abo-shakreh. that's how i would spell it but the literal translation is 'father of the blonde'. this place has very good grilled meats and standard egyptian cuisine, etc. i would also recommend that you try koshari which is an egyptian staple, consisting of lentils, rice, pasta and marinara sauce (you spice it to your liking) that you can find at many places throughout cairo. if you are downtown (by AUC)i would try a place called koshari tahrir. <BR> <BR>at sharm, i'd recommend the outdoor dining area of a hotel called sanafir, they have a nice lunch menu, which is not particularly egyptian. <BR> <BR>feel free to email me with a particular question, etc. <BR> <BR>btw, its gonna be hoooooooot in august! be prepared..

Old May 24th, 2001, 12:16 AM
Debbie

Yesterday (Wednesday 23 May) I tried the new Nile City boat for lunch. WOW! It was so nice for lunch that I can imagine an evening there when the sun is down during the summer would be a slice of heaven. <BR> <BR>It has 4 restaurants in it. Chilies, Studio Misr, an Italian one, and something new called the Seafood Market (sort of like the Americana chain Fish Market, but a bit different). Both the Seafood Market and the Italian one are on the lower level with both inside and outside seating, giving a wonderful view of the Nile and boat traffic moving up and down the river. <BR> <BR>Personally I ate at the Italian one. I had a Coke (refillable) and a Chicken Ceasar Salad with all the bread you can eat. Including the generous tip I left, the lunch was LE30 (less than $8US) I noticed they also have an interesting marketing technique of offering most of their dishes in two sizes.... one "solo" and for sharing "grandioso". The grandioso size was perfect for two wanting to eat the same meal and was less expensive than ordering two orders of the solo size. <BR> <BR>I'm sure I will return again and again to see what else this new set of restaurants offers. <BR> <BR>Note: Chilies isn't open in this location yet, but they say will be in a few weeks. Chilies can be found in 3 different locations in Cairo if that is what you really wanted.