Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Cairo Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cairo-airport-955174/)

geolovestravel Oct 30th, 2012 12:01 PM

Cairo Airport

Hello, My husband & I will have a 5 hour layover in Cairo Airport. Arriving early in morning 5:00 AM and leaving 10:00 Am. I am apprehensive about our safety. Need I worry?
Thanks.

Elizabeth_S Oct 30th, 2012 12:37 PM

We spent about 6 hours (moving between terminals) at Cairo airport and based on that experience I wouldn't be concerned.....although many people will ask for a tip!

Favor Oct 30th, 2012 01:11 PM

I have visited and changed planes there several times. There is nothing to worry about. Depending on which concourse you're departing from you can hang out at one of the coffee shops. Your airline might have a lounge as well. I've been in the Sky Team lounge a couple times and it was a nice place.

Grcxx3 Oct 30th, 2012 07:16 PM

what exactly are you worried about?

Casual_Cairo Oct 30th, 2012 10:35 PM

I agree with Grcxx3 - what is the worry? You're going to be inside the airport area. VERY secure!

While you are there a long time, there is NO need to consider going outside of the airport area as nothing opens until 8 at the earliest and you need to check in for the next flight at 8 or 9 (depending on if it is International or Domestic) so, no problem.

If it is the protests you watch on TV that you are worried about, turn off the TV. They are few and far between and difficult to find if you go looking for them downtown - you sure as heck won't find them at the airport. Really! Bring a book or iPod and have a cup of coffee and wait it out.

Enjoy your holiday.

Travelline Oct 31st, 2012 11:52 PM

no thing to worry about, Egypt now is normal country

NoFlyZone Nov 1st, 2012 04:15 AM

Whoa ... Egypt is far from being a "normal" country. Not that it isn't safe, and I would go there in a minute, but it is still unsettled and unpredictable. Maybe not at the airport but other places caution is well advised.

chechu_susu Nov 1st, 2012 06:51 AM

Nothing to worry about!

Swedish8 Nov 6th, 2012 09:49 AM

I just back from Egypt. no thing to worry abut, people were very kind and helpful

MD Nov 12th, 2012 10:08 AM

Huh? Inside Cairo airport, you would not notice the difference between that and any airport anywhere in North America or Europe, except the arabic signs (and the sign for the prayer room :) )

It's a nice very clean, very modern building. It has the same steel, glass and tile interior you'll find in any modern building. It has the same security as any airport - inside the restricted area, you can only get in with a workers badge or a boarding pass, and have to go through metal detectors, your carry-on is xrayed; same security as the rest of the world. The "riots" in downtown Cairo are very few and far between, despite CNN. "Occupy Wall Street" was probably as much of a problem in their city. There is no such thing near the airport.

Nobody is going to mug or rob you. The risk of pickpockets or other thievery is probably less than in western airports, because flying is something mostly affordable only for the richer people.

So really - what are you worried about?

ShayTay Nov 12th, 2012 03:19 PM

On a trip to Egypt in early 2002, one of our group left a package where she had been sitting in the airport. A gentleman saw her leave it and chased her down to return it. I'd say "no worries!"

Casual_Cairo Nov 12th, 2012 11:42 PM

Where is the LIKE button for MD and ShayTay? LIKE LIKE LIKE :D

scotsgirl Nov 18th, 2012 01:37 AM

No problems at all in Cairo Airport. I once had a wait of 7 hours. A friend and I went on a Nile Cruise and she flew directly out of Luxor to Belgium whereas I had used British Airways miles and was flying out of Cairo. I flew late in the night / early morning from Luxor to Cairo and had to wait around 7 hours in Cairo Airport as a lone female, for my BA flight, but didn't have a bit of trouble at all. Couldn't check in though until 3 hours before my flight so was a bit bored (As there is only so many times you can wander round the few shops public side of the airport) but other than that, not a problem at all. Parked myself and my trolley in the cafe bar and they couldn't have been nicer. TV on the wall to watch and they even changed it to BBC news for me so I could hear a bit of English! Don't be worried at all about Cairo Airport.

MissGreen Jan 2nd, 2013 01:05 AM

I found many of the Egyptians and middle eastern travellers very friendly even with the language barrier. I was at Cairo airport twice with my husband. It was a bit busy in the arrivals lounge but in the departure lounge I would be happy to trundle around there by myself. I often found a smile towards someone returned a smile and I acknowledged a few cute babies with a smile that delighted their mothers who returned the smile and their eyes said..."thank you for saying my baby is beautiful". Maybe not the done thing but oh well!

geolovestravel Jan 21st, 2013 10:15 AM

Oh You all are the BEST! I now feel very secure in my travels to Cairo. I worry too much!! Thank you!