buying a carpet

Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

buying a carpet

just got back from the medina and my boyfriend and i are interested in buying 2 carpets. Does $500 US sound completely unreasonable to pay?? We have no idea what a good price is and realize that 'haggling' is a part of the process. Any advice or pricing guidelines would be appreciated!!!
Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
sandi

Which country? Turkey, Morocco, Iran, Jordan, Egypt, other - they all produce carpets. What size are the carpets? What fabric - wool, silk, cotton, linen? How many knots to the inch... more the better. There should not be a backing on the carpet, which inhibit your ability to see the knots. If knots are loose, quality is questionnable. All will impact the price.

Do you plan to use these on the floor? or as wall hangings? If as wall hangings, whether on rods/brackets or in a shadow box, these options can both be expensive to do.

Before making a decision, I'd check out a few other carpet shops... do some comparison shopping. If these carpets are small enough (3'x 5') you should be able to take them with you... they can be packed for transport as carryons.

Check if the carpets meet the classification for "duty free" so not to get a surprise ($$$) when arriving home. If a larger carpet, how do they handle shipping, documentation, etc. - and the duty free status on arrival.

Yes, haggling is part of the process, so see how good your skills are. But, in the end, if the size/s are right, you like the design, and you really love them and feel you won't find similar at home... go for it.

Hope this helps.

Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

sandi-thx so much for the helpful feedback! I should have mentioned we are in Marrakech, Morocco. The carpets are both wool, not 100% sure how many knots per inch but there is no backing..we plan to use on the floor. We love both and may just buy for $500 total, we were just not sure if this was a 'deal' or not. Thx again!
Apr 24th, 2005, 06:56 AM
rfb

The things that determine the value of oriental rugs are:

1. Knots per square inch
2. Material
3. Size
4. The artistic skill of the weaver
Not necessarily in this order.

If you arrived at a $500 price quickly, it's probably too much. Ultimately, though, unless you're buying a carpet for investment (always a risky action unless you are very well versed in what you're doing) the question has to be. How much do I like this carpet? If you think it's a good deal, do it. It doesn't hurt, however, to try for a lower price first. I bought two silk rugs in Egypt a few years ago and it took me two days to get to the price I thought was right. Patience and persistance.

Search this Thread