car hire in South Africa.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Lisa

car hire in South Africa.

Has anyone researched car rental companies in South Africa. Any comments as to the best one for good rates? Looking for car hire in Johannesburg and Cape town, and looking to rent VW kombis.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 10:08 PM
james

Over many visits to Cape Town, I have looked into so many car rental companies to get a good deal. It is a real minefield of insurances for all sort of things on top of the headline prices to get to the real cost. At the end of the day, I rent through Hertz, not only because they are (surprisingly)cheap, but because you get good backup if you break down etc. I'd also recommend Tempest if ertz haven't got what you want.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:40 PM
barry horrell

Thinking of going to SA next year.<BR>Do you know if any company has free return Cape town------Johannesburg.<BR>In other words,can I hire a car in CT and leave it at J (or vise versa) without additional cost.....any info would be appreciated

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:06 AM
traci

Barry - Cape Town/Johannesburg: wow! That's quite a drive. Okay - I just spotted the .au extension, so you may be used to long road trips.<BR><BR>I would not know definitively but I very much doubt that you will find a national car rental agency without some sort of charge for dropping off a vehicle in a different city.<BR><BR>Are you planning on coming over for the World Cup? If so, make your arrangements sooner rather than later. The word on the street is that anything and everything is going to be very busy.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hi Lisa,<BR><BR>Are you returning to SA seeing that you are looking for car hire? )<BR><BR>In Cape Town there is no doubt in my mind that the best car hire is at Value Car Hire. http://www.valuecarhire.co.za/ as this company seem to be offering the best deals at all times. You wont do much better than this deal in my opinion.<BR><BR>Unfortunately the company does not have a national drop off scheme but I reckon that if you hire a car from the larger organisations like Avis for the long haul overland trips and then a car from a local operator like Value Car Hire in each city you could well be getting a better deal. One thing is for sure if you are travelling out of the cities then Jame's advice is 100% correct when he says use the bigger companies as that guarantees you another car in case you break down etc.<BR><BR>Hope this all helps.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz