Bus from Nairobi to Moshi

Aug 11th, 2003, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Bus from Nairobi to Moshi

Hi

I'm planning on climbing Kilimanjaro in September/October. I will be flying to Nairobi and plan to take the bus from Nairobi to Moshi in Tanzania. Does anyone have any information about the bus service between these 2 places? Different companies, cost, how long does it take, can you take the bus from the airport or do you have to go to down town Nairobi to take the bus. Any information will be appriciated

Regards
Gard
www.gardkarlsen.com
Aug 11th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Hi Gard,
I have taken both the Riverside shuttle and the Davau shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha and found Davau much better.
the trip takes about 6 hours and is very tiring.

For a climb of Kili, I would recommend flying directly to JRO airport (Kilimanjaro). I know, it is more expensive for the airfare, but if you add up expenses for Kenya:
- overnite in Nairobi (busses leave early in the morning)
- Visa of $50 (US passport)for Kenya
- Bus fare
- tiring trip on the bus
It might be cheaper to fly directly to TZ.

If you do a websearch for these busses, I'm sure there are websites for cost and route times.

also, try lonelyplanet (www.lonelyplanet.com) on the Thorntree/Africa section. I know this topic is covered in depth there.

Good luck - you'll love East Africa
Aug 11th, 2003, 11:52 AM
sandi

I can't recommend a bus service and don't recall the one we took from Nairobi to Arusha - but guess we were lucky that our trip took less than 4-hours even with the stop for passport control at the border.

However, these buses rarely leave on time, they are crowded, no air conditioning, they keep the windows closed as people are bothered by the wind blowing in face, ears, etc., and do get quite "ripe" inside. The only thing missing from these buses are the "chickens on the roof".

If you still want to fly into NBO, pay a Wisa fee and overnight hotel - there are flights from Wilson Airport to Kili that fly once a day aroung 12N for about $260 r/t. (return flight back to NBO is about 1:30pm, but you should recheck schedules).

We took the bus to Arusha which was an "experience" - once in Arusha we arrange for a private car transfer for our return 8-days later, as we felt a return on the bus would have been punishment! And on our return, we were a quarter of the way to NBO, when we first saw the bus heading to Arusha - meaning it was almost 2-hrs late in arriving, so who knows when you'd arrive back in NBO.

I'd suggest thinking about options.

Search this Thread