Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Burning Visa question Re: Tanzania (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/burning-visa-question-re-tanzania-972318/)

jaydh42 Mar 28th, 2013 04:44 PM

Burning Visa question Re: Tanzania

On another topic regarding Tanzanian Visa and whether to obtain in US before leaving or to get it there at airport, the overwhelming retort was to get it there at airport while waiting for luggage to be offloaded. OK, good and well!!!

Our companions on the trip ask whether the Kilimanjaro airport has a Visa office and whether it will be open when we land there on July 16 at around 11:10 PM at night. We will be flying from Nairobi, leaving at around 10PM and arriving Kilimanjaro airport about 11:10 PM.
We certainly don't want to take any chances and want to be absolutely sure we can get it there.

Thanks for your comments and replies.

aby Mar 28th, 2013 10:20 PM

The persons who issue visas are the same as those stamping your passport once you have a visa... : )

aby Mar 28th, 2013 10:26 PM

simply get your visa on arrival
<red>hamna shida</red>
(= hakuna matata)

amyb Mar 29th, 2013 06:36 AM

I landed at Kilimanjaro around 9:30 pm and they were still open and doing business and there were a slew of people after us. You'll be fine.

Cateyes555 Mar 29th, 2013 07:01 AM

They will always be open when there is an international flight coming in.

jaydh42 Mar 29th, 2013 07:04 AM

This wont be an international flight. Will be flying in from Kenya, which is about 1 hour away.

amyb Mar 29th, 2013 07:34 AM

I guess I'd question what you think is "international"? Kenya and TZ are two different countries...

Garfield Mar 29th, 2013 08:21 AM

You will not have a problem getting your visa when you arrive, if you are an American cost is $100 US, have crisp new bills. For most others cosyt is $50. A number of flights arrive after yours.

Cateyes555 Mar 29th, 2013 09:29 AM

Kenya to Tanzania is an international flight - you are coming from a different country, requires a passport and visa.

sandi Mar 29th, 2013 11:32 AM

As long as flights are arriving, Immigration and Visa Purchase are open, even for that late Turkish flight that gets in after 1pm

And, yes... Kenya/Tanzania, different countries, so is an 'international' flight.

jaydh42 Mar 29th, 2013 03:23 PM

OK all, I am embarrassed ! When I wrote what I did, I was thinking USA to Europe or USA to Asia with flight times between 10-17 hours. Yes , I will be in Africa and I realize that flight times between countries are not much....or flying from , say, Vienna to Berlin would not be a very long flight, although I never really thought of it as flying international. I guess it is , however. You must admit that it seems weird...like flying next door is International?? OK, I get it. End of conversation!! Thanks so much for your gracious replies to my faux pas.

sandi Mar 30th, 2013 08:44 AM

No need to feel embarrased.
Flying between NBO/JRO is about 50/min.

It's like a flight between LGA or JFK (NYC) and YYZ (Toronto)... about 1-1.5/hrs, is 'international' which most rarely consider, but still two different countries and passports required.

Enjoy your holiday.

jaydh42 Mar 30th, 2013 08:51 AM

OK, thanks for commiserating with me. You are certainly a wealth of knowledge. I take it you live in NY. I live in a suburb of Los Angeles but grew up in Maspeth, Queens, N.Y.

How many times have you visited Africa?

sandi Mar 30th, 2013 01:13 PM

I've lost count, but have been doing so now 18/yrs.

jaydh42 Mar 31st, 2013 08:26 AM

You should write a book Sandi!