Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Bugs in Egypt? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/bugs-in-egypt-474709/)

townclose Sep 16th, 2004 04:52 PM

Bugs in Egypt?

I hate to sound like a real wimp, but i am extremely large-bug-phobic. I don't mind them outside, but I have a thing about sharing a hotel room with them...

What kind of bugs has anyone encountered, and was it just outside, or inside too? Scorpions? Scarab beetles?

And yes, I have traveled outside of the US, and met a few big bugs, I just really, REALLY don't like them. It won't deter me from going, but at least I will be mentally prepared... ;-)

sandi Sep 17th, 2004 04:46 AM

Didn't see any bugs during our time in Egypt. Not in/near our hotels; not on/near our Nile cruise boat; not at any of the sites or stops made alog the Nile.

Can't say there are none to be found, and we certainly weren't about looking for any, but I can guarantee you that if we had come across any in close proximity to where were were - you'd have heard about it by now.

townclose Sep 17th, 2004 01:33 PM

Sandi - that sounds great! Thanks!

gail Sep 17th, 2004 01:55 PM

We never saw a bug either - not crawling, flying or anything. (We were there during Spring). Come to think of it, even in some gross bathrooms, there were no bugs.

Hanuman Sep 17th, 2004 06:23 PM

Didn't see any bugs just rats swimming in the Nile!

Casual_Cairo Sep 19th, 2004 11:34 PM

townclose.... relax.... there aren't too many big bugs you will encounter in Egypt.

I've only once in my whole experience of living here (7 yrs) seen a real live scorpion and it was in the desert... I mean out in one of the wadi's, southeast of Cairo....no where near where you will go.

The worst ones are the flying cockroaches thought that live in trees, but now don't panic! They aren't that prevelant. I get maybe two a year inside my flat during the summer when the windows are all open, and that is all. It's not like you see them flying around outside EVER. And when you do see them, they are usually on their backs and pretty helpless. I don't know why they ALWAYS end up on their backs, but I have yet to ever see one flying or on his feet. REALLY!!!

Be ready at night for the bats though too. We have bats everywhere, but they also will leave you alone..... just warning you so you aren't thinking those things flying around at night are birds.

sandi Sep 20th, 2004 05:00 AM

Casual_Cairo - Debbie, nice to see you posting here about Egypt - even if the subject of "bugs" was your first. You have a wealth of information to impart to those traveling your way. Thanks and welcome!

townclose Sep 20th, 2004 12:18 PM

that is awesome everyone - thanks for the info. It really puts my mind at ease. Although I really should get some sort of aversion therapy to get over my fears...

I have actually saw scorpions in Italy... in my bathtub - couldn't sleep a wink that night! ;-)