Bug repellant clothing - flies, etc.

Mar 11th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Bug repellant clothing - flies, etc.

Has anyone used the Buzz-off brand of insect repellant clothing while on safari? If so, does it repel tsetse flies and other African pests?
I used their shirts and bandanas while backpacking in Alaska last summer and was very pleasantly surprised at how effective they were in keeping mosquitos away from me. I'm normally extraordinarily attractive to blood sucking insects. I was initially sceptical of the line, and it isn't cheap when you factor in the "good for 25 washings" part of it, but I might buy some pants and shirts if there's evidence they work in Africa (Tanzania,to be specific).
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Hi V Town

It is funny you ask that question. I have just returned from Tanzania and I was with a friend who hates anything that flys or buzzes.

When packing for game-drives, I was busy checking cameras and batteries and he was ......packing his "fly/insect-killing" spray which was the Buff-Off brand.

It repelled everything but the tsetse fly....even when they new that they were going to die, they still came into the vehicle.

I am referring to Tarangire National Park where the damn tsete flies even bite you through you clothes. Nothing stops them.

The good news was...... that there have been no recently reported cases of Sleeping Sickness in Tarangire, which seems to be free of it but the bites are still annoying (I was bitten about 7 times in 2 days by the tsetse BUT only ONCE in 2 weeks by mosquito).

Search this Thread