Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Budget Safari tanzania in December(19th to 31st)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Me and a friend of mine are planning for a trip to Tanzania. We are taking Flights to Nairobi.Then Bus to Arusha. Planning to take on Arrival visa for both.

We are budget travellers, so looking for a camping safari.
I contacted few safari agents like Roys, Bobby's tours and few of them.
Bobby's gave a quote of 700$/person for 3 nights and 4 days. Night camping in campsites (manyara,serengeti,Ngorongoro Crater).

Is this a good deal ? What are the few things i should ask for before confirming the booking?Is it safe to go with them on a private safari ?

Also i would like to visit a little not so touristy places. is there any tour operator who can take me bit south of tanzania?? Any chance of interaction owith bushtribes?

Can you please help me with ideas/suggetions. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 01:50 PM

At that prices you'll be traveling with others. If not, then the price per person will increase.

With only 3/nts it is not at all advised to go to the Serengeti. It's a full-days drive from Arusha to/from, and though you'll stop at the Crater either way, on the route you don't... lots of hours on your bottom, often not much to see especially game.

You show dates of 19th - 31st - are these estimates of when the 3/days 4/nts fit in or where else will you be visiting?
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 08:38 AM

I would say that is a GREAT deal from Bobbys. At a lunch site, we had a chance to chat with a couple on a Bobbys camping safari. Their 4x4 was FULL, they wanted more, but found Bobbys acceptable
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 11:11 AM

I would also check with Good Earth Tours in Arusha. I found them very helpful a few years ago-you do have go by the Crater, however only pay if you are actually visiting Worth at least one day for sure. That is a long way to go for 3-4 days.
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 05:34 PM
HML

Naipenda Safaris has camping safaris. We have not camped with them. We stayed in lodges. Thoroughly enjoyed our entire trip and very pleased with the service we got - before and during. They will customize things for you if you wish/need. They offer both private and group trips which is quite standard within the industry. Their offices are in Texas and Arusha. Our trip was one year ago. After we returned, I compared the price we paid with other travellers and I'm extremely content with what we paid. Enjoy you trip and travel safely!
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 01:30 AM

Happy World Safaris offer best camping safaris (http://happyworldsafaris.com/tz_tours.php?cat=camping, I used them on Lodge Safaris for 2pax, private,and very good services.
Feel free to ask Tour Operator for any query you have regarding your vacation, it's their duty to offer you information.
Just from the Northern Circuit, if you wish to have a visit to a single park you can take time at Mkomazi National Park "home of Africa Black Rhino" it's a beautiful park and with very few tourist, you can camp in the Park.
Interaction with bush tribes is best on Lake Eyasi in between Lake Manyara and Serengeti, there you will find the Hadzabe who are real bushmen, i recommend early morning hunting and gathering with them very unique experience.
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 04:39 AM

that price is very low for safari you may travel but you will not enjoy (I guess)with a lot o problems on way I suggest if your budget is very low postpone it until you have enough money ,we travelled with oreta adventures they had a reasonable price but not that one.