Budget airlines in South Africa

May 23rd, 2012, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Budget airlines in South Africa

We need to get from JNB to CPT and back in September. There's a big price difference between SAA and Mango/Kulula. I've no concerns about using budget airlines at home in the UK, but no experience of these operators in SA. Any comments on reliability, hidden charges, customer service...?
May 23rd, 2012, 03:42 AM

We have used both Kulula and Mango to fly between CT and JNB (both in the last few months - we are Canadians in CT for a year), and found them to be reliable/excellent - no concerns with either - no hidden costs, reliable, and Mango delivered a new suitcase to our home within a week after they damaged one of ours. The former is owned by British Airways, the latter a subsidiary of South African Airways. Of the two, I prefer Kulula - excellent/friendly service, and staff with a great sense of humour - similar to Westjet in Canada, our most popular airline. You have to love Kulula's airplanes - the latest paint job has big lime green arrows pointing up, with "this way up" written on the body of the airplane beside the arrows. Go with the best fare! CR
May 23rd, 2012, 04:34 AM

There's also 1Time Airlines in SA that does CPT-JNB on the cheap.
May 23rd, 2012, 08:02 AM

I concur with canadian_robin. Kulula was great; I felt very safe and the price was fair.

Deb

Search this Thread