Brief report on Zambia, SA and Mozambique

Jan 15th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Brief report on Zambia, SA and Mozambique

Today I've returned to London from my 3 week journey through Zambia, SA and Bazaruto in Mozambique in the rainy season. Well what a trip. We started with 4 nights at Luangwa River Lodge. We arrived (husband, 10 year old daughter and myself) on the 27th December , Barry and Tara felt like old friends right from the start, the Lodge is lovely and we had virtually no rain. Whao how beautiful is the area in the rainy season! green and glittering - as they say just like an Emerald. It seems strangely incongruous to see Zebra and elephants wandering around in what looks a like an English forest. We say many herbifores, esp. Ellies everywhere. Lions, hyenas hunting and even a glimpse of a leapord hunting. I should say however that tracking is more like just driving around coming across animals, and it's worth reminding people that you can't drive off road here. Still the sheer profusion of game and astonishingly beautiful scenery makes up for this, Another word of warning mosquitos!!!!! many many and no air con, they bit me through my tee shirt, I looked like a small pox victim, and didn't get anything like the sympathy I deserved from hubby, not nice. With great sadness we said goodbye and made our way to Livingstone.

We had booked into Tongabezi, nice poeple but very disorganised. By some error I was booked into the only room without a view. Worse its had no walls! was I doomed to be a Zambia mosi lunch? It was a bit like a prison with insects on the side. Worse they were reconstucting the viewing deck so there was no escape from prison, just endless drilling. It my own true style I decided to book out and go to the Royal Livingstone. But not before a fabulous evening sunset cruise and a New Year's display of brilliant dancing from one of the local dance troops, truely stunning, shame about the walls.

My daughter took an instant dislike to the royal Livingstone with its pretentious music, outlandish colonial style outfits with hats and long socks, classical musak and inflated prices. "I've come to see the animals not hunt them" was her verdict. I rather liked it..... I loved the walls, the air con the lack of mosquitos, the fabulous location and views. She soon had her revenge, an attack of "Dehli belly" had her vomiting right in the middle of the restaurant to the surreal backdrop of Zebras by the pool. she came to appreciate the place and its sat TV in the next 2 days she spent sick in her room. A word of warning don't use safari par excellance, a lack of booking availability forced me into it despite my better judgement, its a very dodgy organisation.

Next.... military hospitals in SA, near death suba expeinces in Mozambique, and a new post on whether its a good beach adjunct to a safari experince.. Cheers for now
Jan 15th, 2006, 03:44 PM

Welcome back Yvonne! Glad you liked Luangwa River Lodge-we're going back in March. No mosquitos in October last time, but sure they'll be everywhere in March!
Jan 15th, 2006, 04:00 PM

You had a New Years to remember. Hope the misquito bites have healed. Looking forward to the next exciting installment.
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Yvonne-how high was the river at Luangwa River Lodge? Were you able to go out on the river in Barry's new boat? Were the mosquitos a problem during the day or just at night?
Jan 16th, 2006, 11:08 PM

Yvonne, are you sure those were mosquito bites? Sound more like tsetse fly bites, and tsetses definitely bite through clothing. The type of mosquitos in this area are not supposed to bite through clothing. Also this type of mosquito only comes out to feed at dusk--so no mozzie problems during the daytime.
Jan 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Still waiting to hear about the rest of your adventures in Mozambique....
Feb 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM

Would love to hear about the rest of your adventures in Mozambique....
Feb 1st, 2006, 05:19 PM

How did I miss this? Thanks for posting, Yvonne. I'm looking forward to the hearing about the rest of your trip!

Search this Thread