Breakwater Lodge Cape Town

Oct 3rd, 2005, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Breakwater Lodge Cape Town

From former posts I understood Breakwater Lodge was a former prison and therefore the rooms were small, but it was safe clean and in exactly the right location.

I have just received the following report “While staying at Dolphin View we met a couple who had been booked into Breakwater Lodge in Cape Town were we are due to stay. They told us it was really dirty and also they found that the doors to their rooms didn't lock correctly so they had felt unsafe. They ended up having to leave the hotel. It seems that this hotel has downgraded over the last few years.”

Can anyone advise if this is the case.
Oct 11th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

I have now received a response from Breakwater Lodge but would really like some info from Fodorites.

It is with regret to learn that this couple did not like Breakwater Lodge and are spreading such stories about Breakwater Lodge. It once again proves that the word of mouth is the strongest means of advertising, both on the positive and negative side.

I am not sure how much you know about Breakwater Lodge, but let me give you a brief idea. Breakwater Lodge is housed in the old prison within the perimeters of the V & A Waterfront. The hotel and restaurant buildings were built to compliment the old prison building. The hotel now consists of 3 buildings, all shaped in the form of a quad. The accommodation is either en-suite or share shower accommodation and the rooms are situated in all 3 buildings. The accommodation offered is functional and clean with the basic necessities. All our rooms are equipped with television, telephone and coffee/ tea making facilities. All our bedrooms are also equipped with Vingcard keycard locks. Besides the accommodation, we offer a large conferencing division with technologically advanced audio visual equipment.

The Graduate School of Business is also housed in the old prison building. The combination of the old prison feel, post grad students and hotel environment gives the Breakwater Lodge a very special atmosphere. We have even been rated as one of the 10 most unique hotels in the world. The V&A Waterfront considers us as their leading budget hotel.

Furthermore, we offer 24 hour security that patrols both the grounds and the bedroom floors.
Oct 11th, 2005, 06:07 AM

I'm not sure being the leading budget hotel of the waterfront is that big a deal - I don't recall there being much competition - most of the other hotels are mid or lux properties.

Given that his response doesn't seem to aknowledge the feedback from this couple at all but just gives the standard spiel I take it with a pinch of salt.

It would have been more reassuring to me had he said something to aknowledge that there was a period when their standards had slipped, tell me what had been done to rectify it and reassure me about current standards.
Oct 11th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Colind,

I dont want to become to embroiled in this debate as I have not been into the BL for the past two years so I really cannot tell you whether standards have dropped or not. With that said certain facts about the BL dont depend on whether it has maintained its standards or not viz.

1. The rooms are not small, they are tiny. You can hardly move in them once you have placed a couple of suitcases down and fallen onto your bed. There are some larger rooms but they are few and far between at the lodge.

2. The breakfast at the BL is pretty average.

3. The BL is nothing other than an upmarket type backpack in that they do have phones, TV, and radios in their room plus a full time front of house desk. With this said ColinD do youself a favour and look at the emphasis placed on the key lock system by the manager who wrote to you. Which decent hotel would even mention this these days? It should be a standard, not a feature. So why the need to emphasize this? Simple. Security is a more than potential problem and I say again the place is nothing other than a two step above backpack level place of stay.

4. Big deal; The BL is near the Waterfront!! There are quite a number of good guesthouses and at least one hotel that I can tell you of that all are about 1 - 1.5 Km further away from the BL but certainly accessable to the Waterfront that are cheaper and much better than the Breakwater Lodge accommodation wise. For instance there is Davids and Cape Standard just to mention 2 places. Furthermore go to the Graeme Hotel web site at http://www.hotelgraeme.co.za/facility.html This hotel is about 700 Metres away from the Breakwater Lodge. It is cheaper, has better accommodation and is right in the middle of a hub of wonderful restaurants, coffee shops and deli. Furthermore with the very latest advent of camera security in the area it is also safe. Even the Waterfront City Lodge is better accommodation wise and certainly matces the room rates of the BL in many cases.

With all of the above said I ask myself why stay at the BL with all of these other great places being so close by?

Heres a final reminder of the fact that the BL was a jail once upon a ime in its history and it is my opinion that when you stay at the venue, particularly when looking at the size of the rooms, it still feels as such these days.

Just my twopence worth.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread