Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Botwana in December. What to do (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/botwana-in-december-what-to-do-715064/)

jpabel Jun 21st, 2007 02:37 PM

Botwana in December. What to do

We are 15 avid wildlife photographers. We would like to be able experience very good game sightings like rhinos elephants giraffes lions etc. The plan we have in mind is to go to 3 camps, 5 days in each camp, and that the opportunity for bush walks is available. I understand some camps may have hides, so that would be a plus.

HariS Jun 21st, 2007 06:16 PM

For this year? It may be difficult, as you need plenty of roooms to accomodate your group (almost the entire camp) and you also intend to stay for 5 nights at each camp (that's a good move!)

So, start with asking your travel agent what camps are available for the dates of your choice.

jpabel Jun 22nd, 2007 06:13 AM

I was hoping to get some help to narrow down which camps that a large group like ours can look at. We don't have tour agents in Venezuela that specialize in Africa here. We want to go to Botswana in December 2007.

lbj Jun 22nd, 2007 06:19 AM

Personally, if you are that keen at photography, scrape going in December. Certainly avoid the Linyanti and concentrate mainly on the the Delta. It will be the start of the rainy season and most animals will have dispersed. You would certainly be lucky to find a herd of elephants. The hides that you mention become redundant at this time of the year. It is the time of plenty,water in the back pans, most hides are set near permanent water sources for the dry season.

I would potentially look at maybe East Africa. Where you could easily do a private mobile for your group.

mv Jun 22nd, 2007 06:19 AM

since you mention Rhino first you are really down to two camps Mombo and Chiefs camp, which are the only ones where you have a chance of finding Rhino.
Most camps in Botswana offer bushwalks.
I suggest that you check out the websites of Kwando safaris, Wilderness safaris and Sanctuary lodges that all have excellent lodges in Botswana.

thit_cho Jun 22nd, 2007 06:26 AM

December is quicker than you may realize, especially for Botswana, and instead of hoping for recommendations from amateurs, you may want to contact an operator (there are many highly recommended agents identified in these posts, either in the US or Africa, and you can deal with them by email).

As mentioned, there are very few camps in Botswana where you'll see rhino, and they are very popular and book well in advance -- I would be very surprised if they had seven or eight rooms available for five consecutive nights.

With a large group, you may be able to have an agent arrange a private overland tour (sleeping in luxury tents that they set up for you) -- that way, you will visit the best areas and have a lot of independence.