Botswana with Kids? Please advise.

Feb 24th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Botswana with Kids? Please advise.

I'm considering taking my two eight year olds to Botswana this summer and would like some advice. We would be using frequent flier miles into Johannesburg, and I believe Botswana would be the closest place for a good safari experience? (I'd like to do something better than Kruger National Park.)

I have been to various parts of Southern and East Africa on several occasions, and feel comfortable booking safari trips with local companies rather than through an expensive outfitter in the states. However, I have not had any experience travelling this way with children.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you.
Feb 24th, 2009, 10:32 AM

8 years old is sufficient for many camps but by far not all of them accept children under 12. If kids follow "adult" advise and keep quiet it should be fine. But make it clear right from the first request. Many allow only kids of 12+ years or ask for SUV/booking the whole camp.

BOT is fine but also Sabi Sands is a great safari destination which you might be familiar with.

The fare from JNB to Maun return is about 3200ZAR/320US$.

go 2 africa is a good company but there are several others which were topic here.

I book directly with the camps and airline or consult with a safari consultant who books venues which I am not familiar with because I am relying on their first hand experience in view to wildlife, seatings in cars, services etc. Therefore I cannot state on any TA in SA.

SV
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:34 PM

We looked into CC Africa which is now &Beyond) when planning our next trip as children can bunk with parents. Our nephew was over the age limit for tent sharing, so we went a different route. They have children's programs at a couple of the camps that looked nice too.
Feb 25th, 2009, 04:30 AM

andbeyond: PHINDA has great children's programs incl. kids game drives, tracking the small 5, painting etc.

SV

Search this Thread