Botswana Weather and Clothing

Jun 19th, 2000, 10:50 PM
Nick

Botswana Weather and Clothing

I am going to Botswana on June 28th and am wondering about the weather. what will temperatures be like during the day? i will be all over the country so i know it will vary from region to region but i'd just like a general sense of what to bring more of-long warm clothes or short cool clothes. also, are mosquito nets a necessity for sleeping?

thanks

Jun 21st, 2000, 11:21 AM
Bert

Early morning temperatures could be as low as the low 40's, with highs in the upper 70's, so take a warm jacket for morning game drives. I have found silkweight Patagonia 'Capilene' underwear (both t-shirts & long-sleeves) to be very useful for layering. Expensive but durable. You may not have much use for shorts, but do pack a pair, it sometimes warms up nicely in the afternoons. Not to worry about rain-gear, as chance of rain is practically zero.

Mosquitoes should not be too much of a problem; most of the tented camps & lodges either have mosquito nets or the tents can be securely zipped up.

Jun 22nd, 2000, 12:28 PM
Nigel

July is the windy month, daily temps about 26 max 12 min,light clothes during the day, jumper or fleece at noghts and early mornings - no rain.
June / July is not the malaria season, but even so mosquitos are around, and you need to protect yourself - all Lodges, hotels etc are equipped with mosquito nets. Enjoy Botswana its the most beautiful and peaceful Country in Africa. Whatever you do, visit the Okavango Delta, it is expensive but don't let that prevent you from visiting what is one of the last remaining truly natural environments in Africa.

Nigel

Jun 22nd, 2000, 12:36 PM
Nigel

July August are the windy months, daily temp max:26 min:12. Light clothing during the day, jumper or fleece for the nights and early mornings. - no rain
July is not the malaria season, but mosquitos are still around so you need to protect yourself. All Lodges and hotels have mosquito nets.
Enjoy Botswana, it is the most beautiful and peaceful Country in Africa. Make sure you visit the Okavango Delta, it is expensive, but worth 'splashing out' to visit one of the last remaining truly natural environments in Africa,
Nigel
http://www.island-safari.com

Search this Thread