Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Botswana Trip for three people in end March, beginning April 2013

Botswana Trip for three people in end March, beginning April 2013

Dec 25th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Botswana Trip for three people in end March, beginning April 2013

Hi
My wife, daughter and myself will be doing a trip in Botswana from 28th March to 6th April and would like to do as much wildlife safaris as possible with a visit to Victoria Falls. Our dates are fixed as my daughter is doing a clinic in Gaborone for 2 months before 28th March and has to fly back to Toronto on the 7th of April.
Can anyone suggest an itinerary that would enable us to get in the best wildlife viewing.We would like to see wild dog if possible. While budget is not a constraint, we do not need super luxury. As long as the lodges are clean with decent food we are happy.
Thank You in Advance for your help.
Regards
Imtiaz
Dec 25th, 2012, 09:01 AM

Hi Imtiaz,

In my personal experience I think the best chance of seeing wild dog will be on the Linyanti concession or Chitabe concession or the Kwando concession. The first two lodges are owned by Wilderness Safaris and the last one by Kwando.

Here is what I suggest. I just looked at the online availability for Wilderness Safaris and the following option is currently AVAILABLE to book except April 4,5 which may require a few days of chasing waitlists.

Mar 29 - Fly in the mid-morning Gaborone/GBE to Maun/MUB. If you are coming from Jo’burg you could meet your daughter in Maun. Go to Chitabe Camp or Chitabe Ledibe for 3 nights.

Mar 30,31-Chitabe

Apr 1,2 Tubu Tree (best leopard visiting in Botswana for the past two years. Read reviews on Trip Advisor).

Apr 3,4,5 Duma Tau or Savuti on the Linyanti Concession. Space is an issue on Apr 4,5.

Apr 6 Toka Leya or River Club in Livingstone.

To instantly be able to confirm the above it would be best to reverse the itinerary and start at Victoria Falls and move south back to Maun. You may also want to consider the Kalahari Desert which is ending it peak season in March. Either way, your daughters needs to travel Vic Falls to Maun at the beginning or end.

I have been to every Wilderness Safari camp in Botswana along with many other ones. I actually was in Botswana with my wife and teenage daughters in late March and early April 2008. It is a great value time to go on safari. The above trip will be realtively inexpensive.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
2011/2012 Travel & Leisure A-List agent for Botswana and Zimbabwe.
Dec 25th, 2012, 12:24 PM

Imitate
Although I can't comment on your dates I can tell you we stayed at Chitabe, Duma Tau and River Club a few years ago and they were all great. The animal viewing at Chitabe and Duma Tau were amazing.
We worked with Nicky at Eyes on Africa and she was great. It is a trip of a lifetime
Dec 25th, 2012, 05:08 PM

1ladyrep - that is a good trip! I know Nicky and Eyes on Africa. Both are great. She is actually in South Africa right now for the holidays visiting family.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
2011/2012 Travel & Leisure A-List agent for Botswana & Zimbabwe

Search this Thread