Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Botswana Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/botswana-trip-267924/)

Liz Frazier Oct 23rd, 2002 08:25 AM

Botswana Trip

I don't know if you can obtain a copy of the November 2002, International Travel News, but there is an article on a Botswana trip a couple took this last March. They stayed at Wilderness Safari Camps and I really enjoyed it. Its too long to reprint here, but they stayed at Xigera, Duba Plains, Mombo and went on to Zambia River Club. This was a 12 day trip and he tells of the animals at each camp, activities and pretty much covers it all. He includes prices too, which doesn't usually happen. He booked through Fish Eagle Safaris, which is the place my husband and I chose coincidentally. ITN is a subscription paper, but it might be sold at news stands. I had never seen it before. Liz Frazier

RnR Oct 23rd, 2002 10:19 AM

Thanks, Liz - most interetsing. Was at Mombo recently - fabulous! Earlier, contacted Fish Eagles (Houton, as I recall), but they seem to have their own preferences, not necessarily Wilderness Safaris, thus I used Karell in Coarl Gables, FL. Glad to hear you like that firm - will try them next time. Did you lay out a trip and ask serveal firms to bid - I've heard sonce our trip that this is a god technique. Please post where your'e going in Botswana. I'm headed back in a year or so, and cannot wait! You will love your time there. Would enjoy hearing all about your plans and decisions.

Liz Frazier Oct 23rd, 2002 12:03 PM

Rnr-<BR>Do a search for Namibia/Botswana Safari and you will see our posted itinerary and comments from all. Don't want to overdo it. Yes we compared (endlessly) as I do all the planning. Fish Eagle uses Wilderness exclusively. As a favor to me, Bert booked us into two camps that were not Wilderness in Namibia. One camp Kavey recommended and the other Bert told me about.<BR>I looked at Karell and didn't persue it after I talked to Bert. Quite a few people here on Fodors have used him and I took that as good, and after talking to him that sealed it. The prices do not vary from agent to agent really. Its the input the agent provides and their first hand experience that I look for. If you stay at Wilderness Camps, the price is set by Wilderness. How it gets put together is the work of the agent.<BR>We have been to Botswana before. I think that is all on the trip itinerary post. Kavey is the main reason we decided on this whole trip now though. Read her posts and see if you don't get excited. A real Africa ambassador (may be misspelled). Hope this answers your post. If not, ask again. Regards, Liz

RnR Oct 23rd, 2002 12:40 PM

Thanks, Liz, I will follow up on your suggestion. I did contact Bert in Houston - he seemed very nice. Used Karell for two reasons - they helped me with S. Africa airlines in 2001, when I handled all reservations, and this time, dodn't have the time to do it, and they are from S. Africa, and use Wilderness. Glad to hear you like Fish Eagles - I will contact them next time and see what Bery can offer. I'm not certain prices are always the same - some companies apply discounts based on how one pays. Did you find this to be true for your trip? Did Bert put you on SAA via Atlanta, or out of JFK?

Liz Frazier Oct 23rd, 2002 01:55 PM

Rnr-<BR>I requested SAA out of Atlanta. The last time we flew out of JFK and chose to go from Atlanta this time ourselves. On our return flight we requested SAA from Johannesburg to Atlanta, bypassing Capetown. Bert complied. He got us very good rates. <BR>I am not trying to convince anyone to use Fish Eagle Safaris. You asked and I tried to explain. We haven't yet travelled with them, others said their trip was flawless, but I haven't yet. Please use whomever you feel an infinity towards. I am not saying this is the best agent. I don't really recommend anyone. I have a few I would not recommend based on past experience but I expect this trip to go well. Bert is also from S. Africa. Toss up. Good luck to you. Everyone can't use the same agent, we each choose based on personal experience. Regards, Liz.

evelyntrav Oct 23rd, 2002 03:16 PM

I'm another satisfied customer of Bert's Fish Eagle Safaris. In addition to be very reachable by phone and EMail, he was great at giving us suggestions and making a last minute change. Our trip included Botswana, Namibia, CT and VF this past May/June and we were delighted with the Wilderness camps and the plane and car transfers. Everything was on time and there were just no glitches.<BR><BR>Karrel did our air, but Bert was our contact. We flew SAA from Newark to Atlanta to CT and on the return flight from CT with a refueling stop in Cape Verde. We were able to get the upper deck seating and it was much roomier and more quiet than the main cabin.

Liz Frazier Oct 23rd, 2002 04:57 PM

Thanks Evelyn-<BR>I knew you had also used Bert with very good success. Thanks for adding your comments.<BR>One more thing RnR, I don't like to use an agent and then switch for $100 or so. Usually those kind of last minute discounts don't amount to enough to warrant my treating someone like that. When I sold real estate I dealt with people who would take up my time and then not use my service for whatever reason. I usually tell an agent that if they spend time working out details and I change my mind that I expect to pay them a fee for their time. I think its only fair. Regards, Liz

kavey Oct 24th, 2002 12:04 AM

Liz<BR>That artocle sounds great but I can't get it here, that I can find, anyway.<BR>Could I be cheeky and ask if you'd consider sending my a fax (xerox) of the article (I would of course send postage)...<BR>No problems if it's too much hassle though, and thanks for pointing it out!<BR>Kavey

kavey Oct 24th, 2002 03:57 AM

I'm at [email protected] btw!

Liz Frazier Oct 25th, 2002 08:15 AM

Kavey-<BR>I sent you two emails yesterday. Liz

kavey Oct 25th, 2002 08:54 AM

Liz<BR>Didn't receive either but found your email address from a previous correspondance and have emailed you now.<BR>Thanks<BR>Kavey

kavey Oct 26th, 2002 09:26 AM

Liz<BR>Many thanks for faxing me the article, very kind of you and much appreciated.<BR>It's interesting to read of the author's experiences in Johannesburg, Xigera, Duba Plains, Mombo and the River Club and he and his wife were clearly very happy with their trip. <BR>I was pleased to see the trip was organised locally by Wilderness Safaris who we used for our first trip and are planning to use again for the next one, and by Eagle Safaris in the US, a company which some of you here have used and have expressed satisfaction with.<BR>I'm particularly interested in Duba Plains which seems to be a smaller camp, which we found we preferred on our previous trip.<BR>Thanks again for sharing the article,<BR>Kavey

Cindy Oct 29th, 2002 12:07 PM

Is there a way to get a copy of that article you mentioned (November 2002, International Travel News)? I was in Namibia in Aug 2002 on a hunting safari and fell in love with Africa. I want to go back in July or Aug 2003 to see the animals we didn't see in Namibia - elephant, rhino, etc. I am learning so much reading about all of your trips but I am still undecided where to go - Botswana or Kenya or where. I'll probably be traveling alone so I won't be doing any self-drives. I would appreciate any tips you can share. I also would like to keep the total expense middle range. I've seen photos of wildebeest migration and would love to see that. thanks in advance

Liz Oct 30th, 2002 03:51 AM

Cindy went on hunting safari <BR>HUNTING SAFARI<BR>She went to kill animals

Liz Frazier Oct 30th, 2002 04:58 AM

Whoops, different Liz there! I don't think Cindy meant hunting with a gun, did you? If so, what did you hunt? Most of us here 'hunt' with cameras. Not a good term to use. Liz

Cindy Oct 30th, 2002 06:09 AM

Didn't mean to offend anyone here - and fyi, I have never shot a gun or any weapon and don't plan to. As far as killing animals, I won't even watch the Discover channel nature shows that film animal killing other animals -although I know that is how they survive. I had 21 rolls of film developed the day I got back from Namibia. My post was asking how to get a copy of the article about the couple's trip to Botswana telling which animals they saw at each camp, the expenses they had, etc. I also am requesting a suggestion of a good place to go as a single traveler to see elephants, rhinos, etc., and possibly the wildebeest migration. Thanks.

Liz Frazier Oct 30th, 2002 08:17 AM

Hi again Cindy-<BR>See I knew you weren't &quot;hunting&quot;, I'll bet you meant haunting. I hadn't even noticed that in your post until the other Liz posted about it. Actually, Namibia would be the last place to go to hunt I would think. Enough of that! The article I referred to is in the November 2002, International Travel News. If you would like a copy, they have a website where you can request a free copy. The link is: http://www.intltravelnews.com/free_sample_copy.htm.<BR>I do not take the magazine, I just came across it, and think that if you contact them they will probably send the November issue. I faxed it to Kavey as she is a friend and lives in London and it isn't available to her there. In the US, I'm sure you could get it direct from ITN. If not let me know and you could send me a SASE and I could send you a copy. You can probably get the same valuable info here on Fodors. The previous posts here are a wealth of information on almost everywhere in Africa. Just put the country you are interested in in the Search box and you will be busy most of the day. Regards, Liz

cindy Oct 30th, 2002 09:18 AM

Thanks, Liz. I will try to get copy direct from them thru the address you provided. You are very accurate in saying there is a wealth of information here. I'll keep reading. <BR>Cindy

RnR Nov 4th, 2002 08:59 AM

Liz, thanks for your information - but in the future, perhaps you'd read my postings a bit more carefully. I would never suggest one play games with an agent over $100 or any amount for that matter. Read what I said, please. FYI, I am in touch with Bert and others, and will outline my safari needs and ask for a quote - which is precisely what Wilderness Safaris recommended I do when we were with them in Botswana a few weeks ago. I am enjoying your ideas and experiences, so I hope you'll keep posting. We are planning our next all-Botswana trip! Your dieas will be invaluable. Best regards, RnR.

ellen Nov 7th, 2002 11:32 AM

You can access International Travel News @ www.intltravelnews.com I have subscribed to this publication for years and couldn't do without it. Advertising is word of mouth and it is not sold on newstands. Also have not seen it in the library.