Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Botswana Safari Reschedule - Adjusting the time slot?
Notices

Botswana Safari Reschedule - Adjusting the time slot?

Reply

Sep 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 118
Botswana Safari Reschedule - Adjusting the time slot?

We have a Bots safari planned for Sept 2012, in the Kwara and Linyanti Kwando Concessions. We are set for first two weeks of September, but may need to reschedule to 2013. My selection of that time of year was based on my own research, but I am wondering what advice I might get for adjusting that time slot. Would later or earlier provide a better experience, or are the first two weeks of September just fine? Our previous experience in Africa is three safaris in East Africa, TZ in January, TZ/Kenya in August, and TZ in February, all great trips. Thanks, Jim.
Otis72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Sep 26th, 2011, 12:16 PM
  #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,619
I was in Bots last year in September and the game viewing was just fine. Given that the water levels have been so high the last couple of years, I think that going in September would allow the water levels to drop for better access. Also, airfare rates usually drop in September.
ShayTay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Sep 27th, 2011, 02:14 AM
  #3
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 269
Depends what is important to you.

I think September is a great time for almost everything- game, weather, water levels. However, for all these reasons it's peak prices too.

If you moved the trip just a couple of months later into November or early December you could substantially reduce the cost- in December the "5 Rivers Special" kicks in which would probably halve the cost of the trip (excluding airfare). Obviously this isn't the absolutely ideal time- although I have read a lot of advice on here that Kwara in particular is still excellent in the "green season" (I'm going there this Dec).

If this is a once in a lifetime trip and you don't mind spending top $, then move it to Sept 2013.

If you're happy to go at a slightly less ideal time but save a lot of money, AND you don't want to wait 2 years for your safari then move it to Nov or Dec 2012. Then you could put the money you save towards another trip in 2013!

Ask your agent what the price difference would be in Nov or Dec (using the "5 Rivers Special") and then make a decision.
stokeygirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Sep 27th, 2011, 03:48 PM
  #4
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 118
Thanks for the feedback ShayTay and stokeygirl, it confirms the conclusions I had reached in booking the original trip for early Sept 2012. We figure that any trip to Africa might be our last, and given the cost and effort required for any such travel, why not go for the best experience possible?! We've been spoiled by our excellent previous experiences in EA, and expect the same or better in Bots. It appears that our amendment to Sept 2013 will be no problem, now to deal with the insurance folks... Wish us luck! Jim.
Otis72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 



Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:41 PM.