Search

Looking for a good Safari

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 1998, 11:42 AM
Victoria Bigden

Looking for a good Safari

I am planning to travel to Africa in June to go on Safari. Does anyone know of a really good company that specializes in them? I think my father and I would like a split between mobile tented and lodge stays, but I fear that we will end up with a tour that is too touristy. We don't mind roughing it, but wouldn't mind some luxury either. My biggest consideration is that we are not stuck in a large group people being herded like animals. I have found a company called the African Adventure Company that sounds okay, but if anyone thinks differently let me know. Also any thoughts on Kenya vs Botswana/South Africa would be helpful.

Thank you.
Victoria Bigden

Old Apr 7th, 1998, 08:38 PM
julieee

Best of all the tour agencies is Abercrombie and Kent...really first class. We went witht them in 1986, we had our own personal driver and van to take us around..Of course, that may be out of your budget, but see what you can find about them. The did have a sterling reputation. Tenting is good, and a better chance to see the animals, food is dependable, but don't drink any milk products (ice cream, butter, etc.) as might not be pastuerized. We got sick last day in Nariobi. Go to the Amboseli Park and stay a few days, if possible. Nariobi is not worth much time, altho they do have a good archelogical museum where Leakey's work on early man is on display.

Old Apr 10th, 1998, 06:47 AM
Gail Wilhelm

A good tour company in Kenya is called Abercrombe and Kent. If you have a load of money you could try going to the Okavanga Delta in Botswana, a lifetime worth of memories. You can even try a elephant back safari. Kruger National Park in South Africa is lovely too but not as rustic. Good luck.

Old Apr 10th, 1998, 06:47 AM
Gail Wilhelm

A good tour company in Kenya is called Abercrombe and Kent. If you have a load of money you could try going to the Okavanga Delta in Botswana, a lifetime worth of memories. You can even try a elephant back safari. Kruger National Park in South Africa is lovely too but not as rustic. Good luck.

Old Apr 13th, 1998, 04:10 PM
Arizona

We went to Kenya and Tanzania 18 months ago with Maupintour. Excellent tour guide, vans were not crowded (some of the cheaper tours cram people into Toyota minivans elbow to elbow), good drivers, fine quarters (the tented camp in Masai Mara was outstanding), fairly good food. The Serena Lodges in Tanzania were superb; owned by the Aga Khan and kept in tip-top repair. As someone noted, Nairobi is a transit point, a big city with some terrible slums. The Norfolk Hotel there is excellent. Many tour companies (including A&K) use it coming and going. The unpaved roads -- to and from Amboseli, to and from Serengeti -- are mighty rough, dusty, and rutted. It will greatly increase your enjoyment of your once-in-a-lifetime experience to spend a few more bucks for an upgraded tour. Don't kid yourself; there is no way you can "do" a safari on your own. Your operator is crucial.

Old Apr 14th, 1998, 06:45 AM
missy

I will be going to Zambia and S.A. for the first time in October, but I am going with my parents and God-parents who have been many times before. I believe the company they use is Russ Broom Safaris and they have been very pleased. Each animal they have gone for they have taken and their accomodations have been impecable. The hunting in S.A. wasn't as great as they thought it would be but other people have had very good luck. If I find out anymore info I will pass it on to you and, incidently, if the company isn't Russ Broom I will let you know the correct name. ***Have a great time in Africa!***

Old Apr 24th, 1998, 01:19 PM
Arlene

I am going to Kenya and Tanzania in June with International Expeditions. I picked that adventure company because they use mostly luxury tented camps. They have an excellent intinerary, use 4-wheel drive Range Rovers (no mini vans) and have a good reputation. If you want more info., email me. I won't be using them until June 1998, but I have a lot of confidence in their operation, based on lots of Internet research.

Old May 7th, 1998, 01:25 PM
Susie Louie

My husband and I went to Kenya for our honeymoon last September and we went through British Airways. We did extensive research and decided that British Airways had (and still has) the best value. They used a Kenyan-based tour operator called Destination Africa, which at one time was a subsidiary of Abercrombie and Kent at half the price. To make a long story short, we had the best time of our lives in Kenya and we are planning to got back 10 years from now for our 10th anniversary. I'm utterly convinced that it's not the tour operator who makes your trip memorable - it's your guide. We saw the Big 5 (a term you'll learn when you get there) in 5 days and this person we met who was on an A & K tour said the only saw 3 of the Big 5 and was disappointed that they didn't get to see that many animals. You go on a safari to see the animals, not to get pampered. We stayed in lodges and the best one we stayed at was the Mount Kenya Safari Lodge. There are some tented camps but we preferred the lodges.

I strongly recommend you consider British Airways. I was so happy that I took the time to send a letter of commendation to the tour company regarding our guide, Gabriel, who did such a great job. Please let me know what you decide on.

Old May 7th, 1998, 01:38 PM
Susie

Hi Arlene! I just posted a message on the bulletin but I didn't read your message until now. My husband and I went to Kenya on our honeymoon and we used British Airways. They used a Kenyan-based tour operator called Destination Africa. We were so happy with their service that as soon as I arrived back in New York I sent them a letter of commendation on our guide, Gabriel. We used minivans (boxes) and I we asked why most tour operators use them instead of the stereotype Land Rover. Our guide said that Land Rovers use Diesel fuel which emits harmful co2 and is not good for the animals. Plus, they're very loud and could alarm the animals although they are now used to these cars. The minivans on the otherhand use gas and not loud. We had elephants come so close you could poke your pinky finger out the window and you could touch them (but pleae don't do that). Good luck on your safari and have a safe journey! I hope you see the Big 5. Please tell the Kenyans "Jambo!" for me please. (That means "hello/welcome" in Swahili).