Has anyone been to Kwando Lagoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering Kwando Lagoon for Sept 2005 and would like to hear about it.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Kwando lagoon is really beautiful and if you combine it with Lebala or Kwara it is an amazing combination
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 07:48 PM

Debbi, that sounds like an answer from a travel agent. So far, I've heard travel agents push Kwando - one in particular kept pushing them so hard I figured he was getting extra commission for it. I'd like to hear from customers who have been there who are not in the travel industry. And why did you pick it? Because your t.a. suggested it or because you knew someone who went there?
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Clematis,
Thanks for your input, I'm really disappointed no one's responded. What is the deal? SOMEONE has to have been there, the only thing I can think to do is to keep this thread alive. Does anyone ever ask camps for referrals? I so want it to be as wonderful as it seems.
marilyn
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:17 AM

mzcuriouz,

Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of people are hesitant to visit Kwando, believing Wilderness Safaris camps to be second to none. Kwando seems to be the new kid on the block and not as flashy as many of the WS camps.

Personally, I would love to visit both Lagoon and Kwara, and have only heard positive things about each camp.

In the possible event that I am unable to visit Southern Africa until later than my originally planned date of late March, I would definitely consider six nights split between those two camps, if visiting in September. Honestly, those are the two camps that I would like to most visit in all of Botswana, despite the presence of Mombo, Vumbura, Kings Pool and some of the other more popular camps.

Unfortunately, however, Kwando has really jacked their prices up for 2005. While high season would have cost about $400 pppns in high season 2004, I believe it will be about $550 pppns in high season for 2005. These prices do little to make me want to stray from Zambia, the best value remaining in Southern Africa.

Good luck.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 03:30 AM

mzcurious, i stayed at kwando lagoon camp in june 2000. i rank it on par with any of the WS camps except mombo. they have great wild dog sitings from june-sept every yr and large herds of elephants in the winter. while i was there i saw wild dogs hunt twice successfully (steenbok and kudu) and we followed two male cheetahs on a full hunt trying unsuccessfully to get a warthog. the general game wasnt as good as some of the WS camps i have been to but june isnt the best time of yr for that up in the linyanti. in fact i asked our guide steve what the best month to visit lagoon and he responded sept. it is in a very remote area so you wont see any other cars other than that staying with you and kwando employs guides and trackers making finding the animals expescially at night much better. almost every night we had elephants in camp which was great and hippos grazing right outside the tents. overall i rank it top notch. if you need any more info dont hesitate to ask.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Hi MZC,
Perhaps you should post this question on googles rec/travel/africa board too. They tend to have more South Africans on the board who know locations that the locals use. You might not get a response, but if you do, it may be very helpful.

I haven't been to Kwando (as you know!) but I think bigcountry's info is right on... Kwando is in an area (Linyanti) that can be great in-season (eg September when other areas get dry) but very hit-or-miss at other times.

I do very much like the fact that Kwando still uses trackers. This is a big plus, and since WS seems to have dropped tracker use, I do think Kwando might be worth a short try...
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 08:42 AM

I was at Lagoon and Kwara few years back and both camps were excellent then. Their tents were on par with Wilderness tents but Wilderness have since upgraded their accommodation or built new luxury camps. I am sure Kwando will have also done the same.

Both Kwando camps have super wilderness areas with plenty of elephant herds, hippo, buffalo and other general game. I was there in early June and the grass was still tall from the rains and predator sitings were difficult even with the tracker. At Lagoon we only saw hyena. At Kwara we had two incredible leopard viewings and also saw a lion pride on a hunt. We never saw any wilddog which Kwando has a reputation for.

Kwando guides and staff were excellent at both camps whereas Wilderness guides and staff were variable from camp to camp.

At lagoon I was unable to do a nature walk as the grass was too tall and Kwando were not willing to compromise on safety. I did a boat ride instead. At Kwara though I was able to walk on an island and ride a canoe in pools which had quite a few hippos to make the ride very interesting.

Birding at both camps was good and the guides knew most of the species.

I would highly recommend both camps but perhaps you should combine them with Mombo or any other Wilderness camp which offers very good predator viewing.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

What great news and suggestions, I'll have to read it all a couple of times to take it all in.
Bigcountry, I will get back
I was thinking of maybe only 2 days, but 3 it is!....

"It's your money or you life" Groucho
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Debbi,
Please tell me more. When were you there? Please tell me all...
Marilyn