Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Botswana/SA Camera Stability help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/botswana-sa-camera-stability-help-753414/)

Besser Dec 15th, 2007 12:13 PM

Botswana/SA Camera Stability help!

Hi--

I am leaving on Wednesday, Dec 19th (Last minute question I know!) for a two week safari. We are going to Kwetsani camp in Botswana, Jack's Camp in Botswana, and Mala Mala in South Africa.

I have been on two safari trips to Kenya and Tanzania and found with the vans there the best setup for stability for my camera was using a bean bag. I have a Canon SLR with the 100-400 IS professional series lens.

However now I am going into new territory and don't know what I should use for stability in the open vehicles(particularly in Mala Mala). I am debating about bringing a tripod or a clamp or just getting another beanbag. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

lbj Dec 15th, 2007 12:34 PM

Personally,I would take the tripod, a clamp and a bean bag. I always carry a tripod in the vehicle with me, this gives me flexibility to get out and still have an excellent support system. This may include moving for a bird or trying to get low perspective shots on foot...............

Clamp and Bean bag, the clamp is better for panning and catching action, though is not as stable as the bean bag. What the bean bag has in its advantage is the small time it takes to place the camera into position, instead of clipping in a tripod head.

Ofcourse, this all depends on whether you have the luxury of a private vehicle to move and keep all this kit abroad.

I would say the following, at Wilderness Camps I sit in the front seat and use a bean bag, with a clamp attached so I can hop back.

Kwando, on the floor in the back. They have the lowest vehicles in Botswana and it provides a great angle. You can also attach you clamp to the side of the vehicle if you look at the bolts.........

Just try to avoid hand holding unless you nedd too

Russ

www.pbase.com/backtoafrica

lbj Dec 15th, 2007 12:37 PM

Clamp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lamp_with.html

cary999 Dec 15th, 2007 12:38 PM

Tripod or clamp is best, no doubt. BUT, I don't use either one :-) It's a matter of personal preference. My longest lens is 300mm (close to your 400mm) but if I were using a 500-600mm birding lens I would simply have to use a tripod. Hope that helps :-)

regards - tom

lbj Dec 15th, 2007 12:45 PM

rereading, for JAcks, take a tripod without a doubt. Use a high F stop and get those great panoramics.............

mydogspud Dec 15th, 2007 12:45 PM

Try Gorillapod. Just Google it for more info. You should be able to get one at any photo store.

GeoffG Dec 15th, 2007 02:32 PM

A beanbag will suffice.

I've used them on all my trips with the 100-400L IS.

a monopod is another option.

Geoff.

Besser Dec 15th, 2007 03:15 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all of your help! I just went out and bought a tripod and I think I will get a clamp as well so I am ready for anything. I'll be sure to use your tips for Jack's as well! If anyone else has any specific suggestions for Mala Mala I would love them! Thanks!

Elizabeth

lbj Dec 16th, 2007 03:46 AM

Mala use same type of vehicles as Wilderness, my preferance, front seat next to the driver with a bean bag. Though if the grass is quite tall due to the rains, sometimes in the the back gives you that slightly needed elevation.

Tanky Dec 16th, 2007 01:06 PM

Monopod, using a quick release plate attached to the lens collar. The QR plate allows you to change lens easily or remove from the monopod if necessary.

Beanbag is not an option at MM unless you're in the front seat. This is the seat I avoid at all costs...your basically relying on the driver\game co-operating and being to the front or left of the vehicle. Or having the vehicle all to yourself.

I have sat in the front seat there and severely regretted it on the occasions I did.

cary999 Dec 16th, 2007 01:32 PM

Sitting in the front seat next to the guide is even worse in many camps than it is at MM. Because the tracker sits right in front of you (at MM the tracker sits back/top). My favorite seat is the next one back. If you sit in the very back it can be high and gives you (usually) an unnatural perspective of looking down on the animal.

regards - tom

lbj Dec 16th, 2007 02:07 PM

Perhaps I am not the most qualified to talk on the subject becasue I normally have a private vehicle. However, where I have shared, sitting in the front has a number of advantages, most notably you can talk to the guide to where you want to be positioned despite having other guests. The great bonus as well I have found, I you get on well with a guide, you can use them as a bean bag. Well, I certainly have with no complaints. So that eliminates the problem of the right side of the vehicle.

As for a tracker blocking your shot, that will be the case for a certain percentage of shots no matter where you sit, though just a different angles.

Tanky, I dont really get the use of a monopod as it is rather cumbersome. A clamp and a ball head is far more sturdy sn option.

cary999 Dec 16th, 2007 02:19 PM

"As for a tracker blocking your shot, that will be the case for a certain percentage of shots no matter where you sit, though just a different angles.

Yes, absolutely - IF - the tracker is sitting on the left front fender. They have blocked many of my still and video shots. BUT not the case as at MM where the tracked sits on the back row corner. I would much prefer ALL tackers to sit in the back row. We have had this discussion before here on the forum.

regards - tom

Tanky Dec 16th, 2007 10:08 PM

I'm not sure what size your monopod was but it's anything but cumbersome but if you are sat in the front seat I guess it will be. I'm not sure how using a clamp is more flexible - what about tracking mobile animals and birds? What about your clamp ruining the shots of others? You can hardly keep moving it.

Because I travel alone I usually (unless at MM where I won't be returning to) have the entire row to myself. Therefore I can move from across as the situation demands. A clamp in this situation would be of no use...quite apart from the fact there is no place to clamp it.

I agree with Tom on the front seat issue (in a Landrover your are far too low unless the game is positioned to the left).

I also think you should have mentioned you have a private vehicle when recommending the front seat. If you take that seat in a shared vehicle it can be by far the worst position as the ranger has to account for the viewing of the other guests in the back.

However, I disagree with Tom on the tracker placement...I want mine to track to the front of the vehicle which is something the MM trackers cannot possibly do - they are just spotters.

I've never found the tracker on the fender to get in the way as the ranger is always aware he needs to position the vehicle with the tracker out of the line of sight.

Mohammed Dec 16th, 2007 11:22 PM

Hi

A bean bag is probably the most versatile and suggest the molar bean bag which is really good. Please see this link - http://www.vertexphoto.com/BeanBag.aspx

From an open landrover type of vehicle a clamp system works very well too. Please see this link for a picture of the system http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...2086/0#3796022

I would avoid carrying a big tripod unless your into astro photography, but still take a smallish sturdy one for the wide angle landscape shots in those stupendous Makgadikadi pans etc.

One more thing, with the 100-400 I have found hand held to be superb too.

HariS Dec 17th, 2007 12:00 AM

"I've never found the tracker on the fender to get in the way as the ranger is always aware he needs to position the vehicle with the tracker out of the line of sight." Tanky

Yes, i agree .... the tracker sits on the front to find spoor and track the animals by following the spoor. In many places, he gets into one of the empty seats inside the vehicle during say predator sightings.

afrigalah Dec 17th, 2007 12:53 AM

There's no black-and-white answer to this question. It depends on various factors, not least of which are personal preference and your own adaptability.

The <b>important</b> thing is that you recognise the desirability of some kind of camera support on most occasions. Even if you have such advantages as high ISO and steady hands, extra stability will always improve your own performance. I never say no to whatever is available and practical. At home, I use monopod, beanbag, tripod, car window mount, clamps, tree stumps, fence posts...anything.

I'd be thrilled to have the means to afford top-end camera platforms and private safari vehicles, but I've happily used beanbags and monopods both inside and outside the vehicle, and a tripod outside it. And with a monopod, I can and do shoot in any direction from any position in the vehicle...so a tracker in a back seat could get in the way, just as any other passenger could.

John

sniktawk Dec 17th, 2007 03:36 AM

Clamps, tripods monopods etc. are only any good if you have your own vehicle, or a very much less than full one. You also have the problem of not being able to react quickly, to movement of your subject.
With your lens you should be able to hand hold, for proof of this look at some of my pictures at www.sniktawkwild com
most of these other than Mara taken from open vehicles. Those from 2005 backwards are all handheld using a 100-400 lens. The secret is fast shutter speeds, slow breathing and using whatever parts of the vehicle that are available for bracing. Depening on what camera you have shooting at up to ISO 800 should not badly effect the noise level. Most of my photos in 2007 are taken handholding a 500 mm, or using a bean bag. The other factor with supports is their bulk and weight, this is very relevant given the weight limits on charter flights.

cary999 Dec 17th, 2007 01:22 PM

I'm with sniktawk on hand holding, I like the freedom of movement. And also as he says a fast shutter, slow breathing and camera bracing (against your face) is required. Pistol or rifle target shooting is good training for these techniques. But for those who like to use a monopod or tripod, good for you, it is better that way.

regards - tom

Besser Dec 18th, 2007 04:12 PM

Thanks again for all the tips, especially those about where to sit while at Mala Mala! I am off tomorrow with a tripod and 2 bean bags. I might try to get a clamp before I leave as well! I'll let you all know how it goes when I return!

Elizabeth