Botswana: Right Mix of Camps

Jun 20th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Botswana: Right Mix of Camps

Hello!

Thanks to several members whose suggestions and tips have helped shape our Botswanna trip for August 2006. We're bringing our 21 years old nephew for his first trip to Africa period, and its our first visit to Botswana.

Clearly, its important to get the mix of camps right to encounter diverse environmnets, wildlife and experience, so, Old Botswana hands, how does this sound:

2 Nights Jack's Camp
3 Nights Mombo
3 Nights Jao
3 Nights Sabi Sands (probably Londolozzi or the new camp at Mala Mala)

Any suggestiosn or comments would be most appriciated. THANKS!!!
Jun 20th, 2005, 07:11 AM

MAY I SUGGEST, AS THIS IS A DUPLICATE POSTING, THAT WE ALL REPLY ON THE FIRST ONE AND PERHAPS FODORS WILL DELETE THIS DUPLICATE THREAD?

Kavey
Jun 20th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Sorry about that. Not sure how I made it post twice...
Jun 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Aach, easily done... sometimes the site slows down in the middle of posting and you click twice in impatience - or at least I do anyways...

You might not notice as when I've done that I've dropped an email to fodors editors asking them to remove my duplicate and they have kindly obliged pretty quickly!
Jun 21st, 2005, 11:53 AM

I think Vumbura would have better game and also water activities, as Jao does, plus it has become a 6-paw also, like Jao is now.

I've never been to Jao, or to the renovated Vumbura.
Jun 21st, 2005, 11:55 AM

But I like all your other choices. What a lucky nephew!
Jun 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM

atravelynn,

From my estimation, the new Vumbura, called Vumbura Plains, will be at or near the location of the old Kaparota camp. Kaparota was a Wilderness Safaris camp but I no longer see it listed on Wilderness Safaris website, except in cached sites that I come across (and in my 2003 WS brochure).

Vumbura Plains looks incredible...more towards the Singita look than the Mombo look.

So, while Little Vumbura will be a water camp, I am not so sure if there will be water activities at Vumbura Plains.
Jun 21st, 2005, 03:48 PM

We have Vumbura Plains booked for September 2006. They confirmed to us that there are still all of the same water activities.

Actually, this itinerary is similar to ours:
Mombo, Vumbura, Chobe Chilwero & the Royal Livingstone (for those in our party who want a little pampering like A/C, spa services, and activities other than game drives), and finally Singita.

I think your itinerary sounds wonderful!
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:18 PM

The new Vumbura Plains is pretty awesome - I visited Bots camps, including the new Vum, for a month this past Feb and, while the camp was not yet open or near completion, the layout was complete and the rooms will be very spacious - with private pools like KPool and the camp will be something like 1.4km in length!

As Rocco mentions, the camp is in the direction of Kaparota Camp (although a good 30-minute drive from KapCamp). The new camp is situated along Kaparota Lagoon - a place where I have spent many, many productive afternoons photographing Elie's and birdlife. Only three tents will overlook the lagoon though as the camp is quite lengthy. I'm not sure which tents numbers these are that overlook the lagoon - but I would say these would be my preference for my next visit. I will find out which tents these are.

As for activites, Vumbura (including the new camp - which is only ~ 15 minutes drive from the old camp) and LittleVum offer year-round boating - in fact, a boat ride to the Little Vumbura jetty is the only real way into LVum as it sits on a small island. This is also a truly lovely camp if you want to save $$.

Meantime Jao, which is billed as a "water camp" is really pretty dry after the floods recede. I have stayed at Jao quite a few times in the past few years and during the rainsy months, Jao is actually quite a dry area in terms of game activities. Water activities at Jao become predominant beginning around June or whenever the flood arrives. After this and until the waters recede, the best game drives are on Hunda Island and guests must boat over to meet a Rover for these drives. Birding and scenery at Jao are spectacular in full flood.

Personally, I love the Kwedi concession (Vumbura and Duba camps located here) but I think it depends on what you want. You will certainly see excellent game in 3 days at Mombo (Lions without doubt, leopards almost for sure and loads of general game) and I would really recommend getting out on the water at either Jao or Vumbura. Both will be superb in August.

It's a nice itinerary - you will love Bots.

Search this Thread