Botswana Itinerary & Chitabe Trails

Mar 20th, 2006, 07:05 AM
laurar

Botswana Itinerary & Chitabe Trails

So, here is our itinerary for late Aug/early September: 10 nights mobile camping + 4 nights Chitabe Trails.

Any thoughts? Is there too much long distance driving involved? I understand roads are sandy and driving can be long.

Also -- please compare Chitabe with Chitabe Trails. Chitabe was booked for the days we wanted, but they have us provisionally booked into Chitabe Trails.

Thanks.

Laura.

Mar 20th, 2006, 07:47 AM
laurar

oops -- I forgot to post our itinerary -- here it is.

August 2007.
19. Livingstone.
20. Chobe River.
21. Chobe River. Morning's Boat Cruise on the River.
22. Savuti.
23. Savuti.
24. Khwai Community.
25. Khwai Community.
26. Khwai Community.
27. Khwai Community.
28. Moremi Game Reserve. Mboma Island. (West of 3rd Bridge).
29. Full day's excursion to Godikwe Lagoon by boat. Camp Mboma Island.
30. Fly from Xakanaka Air Field to Chitabe Air Field. Chitabe.
31. Chitabe.
01. Chitabe.
02. Chitabe.
03. Fly into Maun to connect with your outward flight.

Mar 20th, 2006, 08:29 AM
lbj

Laura,

Chitabe and Chitabe Trails are right next door to each other. (Under a two minute walk between the two)So, game drives conducted in the same area with guides from both camps communicating.
Trails is currently going through a refit and will soon be all raised walkways like the main camp. The major difference is trails has only four tents, so the experience is a lot more intimate. No disrepect meant here to anyone, you avoid the loud obnoxious Americans who seem to frequent main camp. Those who have come on safari to see the big five to and say ive been. I cant bear these guests, where are the Lions? We have already seen two elephants!

Mar 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Oh come on lbj - tell us how you really feel - no need to try to be so diplomatic .
Peace;
Sherry - a usually soft spoken American
Mar 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM

lbj,

Don't know why you thought calling a good many of us on this board obnoxious would offend any of us.
Mar 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM
laurar

Sounds like Chitabe Trails will work just fine. Anyone have insight on the driving distances on our mobile camping portion of the trip, and road conditions: Chobe to Savuti to Khwai River? I mostly envision that the transfer between camps will be like a long game drive -- out early in the morning, exploring along the way.
Thanks.
Laura.

Mar 20th, 2006, 12:41 PM

Laura,

What mobile company did you decide to go with?

Thanks
Mar 20th, 2006, 01:06 PM
laurar

We are going with Masson safaris based on the Bradt Guide and references posted on this forum.
Laura.

Mar 20th, 2006, 01:40 PM

And there was me thinking LBJ was an affectionate remembrance of a great president.
Mar 20th, 2006, 03:02 PM

What a nice itinerary. I see you have a morning Chobe River cruise. I would also recommend an evening one too.

I was at Chitabe in Aug 05, perhaps the loud and obnoxious one! But the baboons did out-screech all of us.

I actually had wanted Chitabe Trails, but had the opposite situation of you and could not get in there. I often shared a vehicle with Trails guests and after dropping me off they would see lions or hyenas near Chitabe Trails as they made their way back. Could just be luck.

If you are staying 4 nights at Chitabe, consider the Walking Trails Camp. You walk to it (or are driven) in the afternoon and spend the night on a raised platform on a comfortable mattress with misquito netting overlooking a lagoon. You have your own private dinner with the guide and I did a night drive too. Then you walk back to camp the next day (or are driven on a game drive, which is what I did). It was an excellent experience with wonderful sounds of the night all around. (Where I stayed was the old walking trails camp. There is a new one too that can accommodate up to 8. I don't think the location is as scenic.)

Long and sandy is a good way to describe the roads. You may even have to help push through the sandiest parts and put branches under the wheels. But there should be game that can be spotted en route. At least those are my recollections from the driving mobile I did. I think the driving will add to the adventure of an exciting trip.
Mar 20th, 2006, 07:46 PM
santharamhari

Hi! I have read good things about Masson mobile safaris. Do a search on this board and you should get some results........

Yes, Chitabe/trails way to go........

Mar 21st, 2006, 09:55 AM

Laura,

We're going to do approximately the same itinerary (without Chitabe) with Masson this August. We're both getting excited already. I plan on reporting in when we get back.

Pete
Mar 21st, 2006, 10:54 AM
laurar

Hi Pete:

I can't wait to hear your report. I will be certain to check this board around September.

Laura.

Search this Thread