Botswana in Sept or Oct

Aug 2nd, 2003, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Botswana in Sept or Oct

Hey there experts! Thanks for the airfare tips. I'm definitely going to contact Ken when business begins again.

We're considering the Jacana safari from Wilderness safaris (www.wilderness-safaris.com) either in Sept or Oct.
3 days central Okavonago - Kaparota camp
2 days Okavango - Jacana camp
2 days Linyanti - Linyanti tented camp
2 days Chobe - camping
1 day Vic Falls - Ilala lodge
Until this year, the trip was 13 days, now only 11. Cut a day from Chobe, and a day from Jacana.

I have a few questions:
- Do you like the 11 day itinerary? I kind of liked staying for longer in those couple places... or does moving around work better?
- Is this a good time to go to Botswana? Seems like we're going in the hottest time. Or shouldn't I worry about that?
- This is a really dumb question... but when the brochures list wildlife viewing, I never see anything written about giraffes... are there giraffes in these areas? (yes, this is my first time in Southern Africa)
- We don't need the fanciest of accomodations...though an outdoor shower sounds very cool... I'm trying to get a sense of in what way a customized trip of similar length could be better.
- The sense I get from some people is that Vic Falls is quite touristy nowadays. Any thoughts on how many day in Vic Falls (or whether to go at all?)

We're also going to be spending a week in Cape Town. Selwyn will probably be hearing from me directly. But any thoughts on whether to go to Cape Town before or after the Botswana portion?

Cheers,
m.
Aug 4th, 2003, 12:33 AM

I'm far from being an expert but my advice is when you read those brochures listing wildlife viewing you may wish to inquire directly from the camp or company for a current list. The brochures are often printed up a year in advance and circumstances may have changed.
Vic Falls - my experience there was a very good one. I am still waiting for some information beyond my control to post my trip report, but I found plenty to do in that area for 3 days. Everyone is different, but in answer to your last question, I'd consider putting the falls first as it can be a nice area to get over jet lag and Cape Town last because you no longer have the luggage restrictions and you can shop there for gifts right before your return home.
Aug 4th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Clematis. That makes a lot of sense!
Aug 4th, 2003, 01:38 PM
sandi

Michael_g -

Clematis' idea re Vic Falls and gifts, regardless how many days you spend in Vic Falls - we did 1-1/2 days, we did find lots of inexpensive gifts to purchase. Fortunately, we were able to take most (some stuff did get shipped home from VFA - if you decide to do this, only use the UPS company)on the flight back to JNB.

From JNB we were going to Kruger and didn't want to take all our purchases (we had already been in CPT) on the smaller plans - luckily our tour operator held onto all out souvenirs and met us at the airport the last day when we returned from Kruger, and from there we boarded our flight back to the States. We had no trouble as we managed to have gotten a carton from hotel in Rosebank (the nite returning from VFA and before heading to Kruger) with packing tape and newspaper* - this would be shipped with our luggage and arrived home with no breakage.

* If you buy the Ostrich eggs, be sure to get lots of bubble wrap regardless whether you take them as carryon or pack for shipment in the belly of the plane.

Aug 5th, 2003, 05:38 AM

We saw giraffe (and zebra and impala and buffalo and elephant) at all our Botswana camps when we were there, though they weren't commonly listed on the game viewing lists.

I get the impression that these are either so common as to make it pointless to list them OR perhaps people are most interested in where they can see the big cats etc and rarer animals such as wild dogs and so these are the ones listed.
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:03 AM

About the Vic Falls part...if you have the time and inclination, I would highly recommend going to Vic Falls and have two nights there. Not for the town particularly but for the falls themselves; they are spectacular. (You may choose to stay on the Zambian side.)

Two things you can do at Vic Falls that you won't be able to replicate anywhere else: 1) Zambezi whitewater rafting - an experience not to be missed; and 2) the ultralight flight over the falls - it is wonderful!

Your trip sounds wonderful!! Have a great time.

Search this Thread