Security on the road between Tsavo West and Amboseli

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read 2 guidebooks now (Lonely Planet and Bradt Kenya guides) which mention that safari wehicles travel in armed convoys on the route between the Chyulu gate at Tsavo and the Kimana gate at Amboseli due to security concerns and wanted to see if anyone here has some first hand knowledge. The LP guide is a 2003 publication and the Bradt guide does go on to say that there haven't been any incidents in several years, so I'm wondering if this is not really a problem currently. Neither guidebook gives an indication as to what the security concerns are/were. Robbery, carjacking? The warnings in both guides were very brief and I had almost missed them. So can someone help put my mind at ease? Or perhaps I really should be concerned? None of the safari operators that had given me options for combining the 2 parks mentioned anything about security concerns (but then again it's probably not something they'd want to bring up is it?). If anyone has any recent experiences, I'd really appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 04:44 AM

It's been a long time since we did exactly that same route, 1996 to be precise. We didn't know beforehand about traveling in armed convoys and were really very upset when our ranger told us. He also told us that there had been an incident a few months before, which was the reason they started to travel in convoy.
I know many people who have done this route in the last years and I've never heard about another incident.
So, try to sit back and relax, 'cause you'll be driving through some very beautiful scenery.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 04:59 AM

We did the route and also did not know ahead of time about the armed convoy. I have to say it made it a little more exciting, but we felt very safe and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Patty:

The convoys are still being done as a precaution. I have often seen GSU (government security) agents waiting outside Ol Tukai for the vans to be loaded up. They will be in plain clothes. They get in the vans with what look like AK47's and accompany you until you get to Tsavo West

To my knowledge there have been no further incidents since the late 1990's.

Don't worry about it. Better safe than sorry.

Jan
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. Sounds like this route has been "incident" free for some time. It's always good to be informed though!