Search

Botswana in May?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Botswana in May?

I can only go during May 2008. I was wondering what some of you more seasoned safari veterans thought of that timing. The toru I want to take is with Wilderness Safaris and goes to the central Kalahari as well as the Okavango and Chobe (Linyanti).

Thanks
David
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 12:23 PM

We were on the Chobe River and at PomPom in the Okavango last May and conditions were wonderful-weather, animals, camps. Sure others will chime in.
Enjoy
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM

I would encourage you to consider May as an ideal time to visit the Okavango and Linyanti areas. I've been there in May during the past three years amd found the temperatures near 75F/50F...almost ideal. The sun is strong, as well. Game viewing is quite good, as it is not the 'green season'.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Howdy davidjac - We were in the Okavango, Chobe, Linyanti in April 2005 on a Wilderness Safaris "Migration Routes" serviced camping trip.- Weather was good a couple of hotish days in the further northern areas (Savute and Linyanti)up to 36 degrees, but over all pretty pleasant. Can't imagine that May would be much different. Can't comment on the central Kalahari though.

WS in their webiste has News from the various lodges with archives, they usually mention temperature and weather conditions but I have just checked and there are no May reports (even in archives) for Jack's or San Camp in the Kalahari... Bu thtis website has ambient temp and rainfall info throughout the year from a Maun weather station http://www.uyaphi.com/botswana/weather.htm or try the weather underground here is the archive for MAY 10TH 2006 http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

April through October is the best time for game viewing, temperature etc - the grass is longer at the beginning of the season - but we still had phenomenal wildlife viewing. Our trip report is here http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34957250

sorry for the shameless self-promotion -but thought you might be interested as we visted several of the same areas as your intended trip.)

Is it the one named Great Wilderness Journey? You are interested in? Can tell you that the Migration Routes is a great trip and very cost effective to see some fantastic environments - you could always add a three day into the Kalhari before hand if the trip was Xigera to Livingstone route, might save some dollars.
Cheers on whatever you decide.
Thembi
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. The safri I will be going on is the 13 day untamed lands. First time to Africa and I am already excited 14 months in advance

David
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 10:40 AM

David -
I am doing the Untamed Lands safari this May (2007) so I will be sure to post a small trip report and some photos when I return to give you an idea of what to expect.

I did ask some questions about weather in the May time frame in the forum post below:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34960651

The good folks here passed along some great advice there.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 06:07 AM

Hello David,

I'm also be headed to Botswana in late April / early May so you'll have two trip reports for that time of year. My trip isn't on the Untamed Lands itinerary but will visit the central Kalahari (Jack's Camp) as well as the Linyanti and Delta areas.

There are some photos in the Safari Photo Album from a green-season (March) visit to Jack's Camp.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasher/sets/

Cheers,
Julian