Eritrea?

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eritrea?

I realize this is a long shot on this board but has anyone been to Eritrea? (I know the thorntree board is a better source for off the beaten track locations, but thought I'd give fodors a try ...)
thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Good luck!

I once looked into visiting Asmara, and there were some articles in the New York Times about architecture in Asmara (this may have been a few years ago). I thought I'd combine that trip with a dhow from Eritrea or Djibouti to Yemen, but I never got around to seriously researching that trip.

I think the Lonely Planet to Ethiopia also covers Eritrea (they removed Djibouti in the most current edition).

Let us know if you decide to visit.

Michael

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Michael -
When I was posting this I was thinking well if anyone on here as been there, it's probably Michael. Yes, the LP Ethiopia is what got me thinking about trying to make a trip there while I'm there in Sept. Although getting there from Ethiopia sounds like a hassle, it sounds quiet interesting from what I've read, and completely safe for women wandering around solo. I'll report back if I make it there!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Wow, are you going to Ethiopia? There's an article on the Ethiopian wolf (maybe it has another name) in the current National Geographic, but they are hard to see.

Ethiopia is another place I'd really like to visit -- the northern loop (Axum, Gonder, Lalibela) and also Harar to see the guy that fees hyenas by hand (and even with bones that he's holding with his mouth).

Here's a link to the New York Times article on Asmara (the one that got me interested in visiting):

http://select.nytimes.com/search/res...A00894DB404482

You may need to be a subscribe to access it, but if you can't, I can email it to you or copy it into a long post on this thread.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much for the link Michael! (I subscribe to the NYT so I can view it.) very interesting article on Asmara. and yes, Ethiopia in September - although I just started trying to put together an itinerary, I'm definitely doing the northern route and also definitely going to Harar to see the hyena feeding man, as I'm incredibly intrigued by that (now there's something you won't see every day).I have been reading that the Hyena man invites the tourists to give it a go too! (of course my first reaction to this was no way in hell would I do that, but when in Rome...)
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Please post your itinerary when decided. I may try to visit Ethiopia next year. I need to see if I can use my frequent flyer miles to get from JFK to Addis -- my guess is that Alitalia flies that route, but I haven't checked.

I would also likely do a short trip into Eritrea and maybe Djibouti, but that trip isn't even on my drawing board.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Michael -
Will do!
Thanks again for the article -
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:08 AM

well Maxwell, as it happens, yes I have been to Eritrea. Ethiopia too.

But I worry about posting this as you'll be wanting to know about places to stay and places to eat.

And I can't tell you except to say that the place I stayed provided the necessary; and I didn't go hungry.

I do remember some fabulous coffee shops in Asmara - art deco style - and the Nat Musuem was heartrending, and the central market offered hours of window shopping pleasure.

I hope you make it there.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi fuzzylogic -
The trips I have planned for the next year are going to require me budget-wise to not require more than a clean bed and a relatively clean shower somewhere on the premises, so I can use my lonely planet for places to stay, but, I'm very interested in hearing if you ventured outside of Asmara - in particular, Nakfa (I've seen mention they aren't letting tourists go there right now, but it sounds incredibly interesting from historical point of view), Filfil (also hearing they aren't let tourists go there now but would love to check out the monkeys and baboons there), and the Dahlak Islands. Specifics on these places is lacking even on the thorntree board and the virtual tourist boards, so I'd love to hear any impressions of these places if you visited them while you were in Eritrea.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Linda