Search

Botswana in June?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 09:38 AM
SClarke

Botswana in June?

Does anyone have any comments both positive and negative about a safari in Botswana from mid to late June? I am exploring a honeymoom there, but am a little worried about the temperature that time of year. Should I be?

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 12:06 PM
kavey

We did our trip to Namibia and Botswana in June 2001 and really loved it.<BR><BR>The nights are COLD - even though we knew it was winter there we hadn't expected them to be so chilly.<BR><BR>Since morning game drives start before sunrise in winter this meant either showers in the chill dark of dawn (hot water but chill air) or leaving daily showers till the siesta time between drives.<BR><BR>The day warmed up a lot but we needed to dress in lots of layers to be warm in those cool mornings and again when returning to camp following the sundowner drinks during afternoon drives.<BR><BR>This said we appreciated the season very much. The camps were not busy, the skies were clear, there were few insects, snakes were in hibernation, we had the full attention of the wonderful staff and guides...<BR><BR>During the siesta break the weather was hot enough to take dips in the plunge pools at many camps and to sunbathe.<BR><BR>During the nights the staff at many camps would put hot water bottles into the beds whilst you were finishing dinner so that you had a warm bed to snuggle into.<BR><BR>Sitting around the fires after dinner was also a pleasure in this season.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Karen

Kavy is 'right on' when he talks about the nights being cold - a terrific excuse for honeymooners to cuddle I would think. If you are from North America it is cold as in autumn cold, not winter cold - you are unlikely to freeze to death or any such thing. Bring a ski jacket for the safaris - they don't drive the 4 x 4s too fast but it's a chilly breeze on the ride if you are underdressed. Day temperatures are pretty decent and I think it is one of the better times of the year to be here - bugs, mosquitos, snakes and any other cold blooded creatures are pretty scarce. Prices are better too and there are less tourists to compete with for service. Activity wise - I cannot think of any that you can't do because of the weather - ride, bike, golf, swim (in pools mostly as water is often in short supply in the rivers here and unsafe for drinking and swimming) are all available year round. I think there are many more plusses than negatives myself.<BR>Have a great honeymoon. Karen

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 03:01 PM
kavey

Kavey = she<BR>Not that it matters... just tickled me that my nickname is so unisex!!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Lisa Waverley

Both Kavey and Karen are correct in everything they say. We mostly go on safari in the winter months. In fact, we find it the ideal time to go as you don't have to deal with the summer heat, rainy season and mosquitoes.<BR> Another advantage is that there is no foliage so animals are easier to spot.We have found that Botswana was warmer at that time than the Kruger areas in South Africa because it is further north.<BR>But that wind chill at night is a factor so bring layers ( and a hat).

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 09:58 AM
jill

Nightime is very cool, but the day it warms up enough to be in short sleeves &amp; shorts--when we were there in June for our honeymoon it got up to 80F. When Lisa above said there is no foliage, keep in mind that the landscaping is still unbelievably beautiful with all of the golden colors. Bring a warm coat, and they give you blankets to snuggle under for the game rides. It was undoubtedly the best place I could ever think of to have a honeymoon. Adventurous, romantic, exciting, relaxing--everything all rolled into one. Chitabe camp in Botswana made it especially nice for our honeymoon with their extra touches.