Search

Botswana - guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Botswana - guide

Check out http://wilddogsandenglishmen.wordpress.com/
for my story of my recent trip to Botswana, hopefully it will help others who are thinking about a similar trip. There's a downloadable version so you can read it while you're bumping around Botswana.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 11:15 PM

how many times are you going to post this? it's not a guide, it's a trip report. an interesting read, but I don't need to be reminded of it on 21 seperate posts, under different titles and replies.
thank you
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 11:21 PM

just noticed you forgot to post on this thread:
<b>&quot;SA Minster of Health Drunk&quot;
</b>
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 05:32 AM

Lmao... that got me laughing Matnikstym...

Richard
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Dear Matnikstym - Whoopsie Daisy - Please forgive my forum faux pas, I thought people only read their own individual posts, clearly I wouldn’t have pebble-dashed the entire forum had I realised you all read all of them. I’m as green to this as I was to self-drive in the Botswana Bush. After my evening game drive in Moremi turned into a rescue mission for the couple who broke down on one of the quiet side loops with no GPS, no clue where they were, no back-up fuel, no satellite phone, no spare water, etc, it really scared me that people could self-drive into such a wild place but be so ill-equipped and risk getting in such a pickle. I have written over 100 pages of report, review, diary - call it what you like – with the intention that if only one person who could potentially be as ill-prepared as that couple and risk end up in the same mess reads about my experience and consequently has a safer self-drive experience, then it will have been worth it. And for those who are less green if there is something that reminds them of why Africa is so amazing then it will also have been worth it. Please accept my apologies.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:26 AM

Yes, WildDogs, we read 'em all! A suggestion: post a condensed version of your trip report here, rather than sprinkling links to your website in every Botswana thread. The link could be included for those who wish to read the longer version. If you've got relevant information to a thread's question, just answer it, rather than posting the link. Few people do self-drives in Botswana and, although your report is interesting, it isn't always relevant to other questions.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:37 AM

Hi Wildogs,

Someone said &quot;Few people do self-drives in Botswana and....&quot; guess that's is why your report is so valuable and important to folks like me who plan to follow in your footsteps.

I really do struggle to find accurate and quality information like you have provided.

Nevermind all that, the passion for safari makes us &quot;wildogs and leopard stalkers&quot; like you and me get a bit overbearing at times especially to the less passionate touristic traveller, so all I can say is thanks and Hakunamata!

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM

WD- I would also suggest you put together a maybe 4 page summary of your report for this forum. BTW, I think you have written report, not a guide. A guide presents all reasonable (travel) options/possibilities and discussed the pros and cons and perhaps ranks them. You are writing about one thing, what you did.

regards - tom
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM

I am very intrigued by the idea of a self drive and have read a number of posts on that subject here. As for your trip report, I found it a very interesting read -- so much so that I have downloaded, printed, and bound a copy for future reference. Thanks for such a lengthy and thorough account!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:16 AM

I've only read up to your first couple nights and look forward to reading the rest.
You've included some very useful and interesting info.
Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Hello

cripes the english summer is dreadful, wishing v much I was still in Bots!

ShayTay - yes, after I learned my lesson I'm now just responding to questions with no more links.

Mohammed - thank you, that's really great. And yes I am passionate. Oh well. Thank you.

cary999/ Tom - good point, I had gone to some length in the actual report to explain it wasn't a guide, it was just my point of view which readers could take to supplement a Guide - to only spot the daft title I put on my Post on this forum which had suggested it was a guide - another 'WD' (Whoopsie Daisy, not Wild Dogs). Sorry.

Chris McIntyre (author of the Bradt Guide to Botswana, which, by the way, really IS a guide and one I can whole-heartedly recommend) has read the Report and taken the time to leave a great comment, which is terrific.

If it will help I'll get around to writing a 4 page summary but for now I'll just do as ShayTay has suggested and answer people's questions individually, I think that might be more helpful.

rickmck - thank you, lovely.

cybor - thank you, fantastic.

thank you for all your feedback

WD