Search

Watamu Seaweed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watamu Seaweed

We are planning to go to the Watamu area and have looked at both the Turtle Bay Beach Club and Hemingways. We heard from one operator that the beaches there tend to get seaweed in the July/August timeframe and was pushing us toward Lamu. We will have our children with us so we were thinking the Watamu area would have more activities than Lamu. Any experience with seaweed in July/Aug in Watamu?
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 01:36 PM

It was a long long (20 yrs) time I was there but there was a lot of seaweed on the beach at Hemingways (used to be called Seafarers) but, strangely, very little only 200 yards away in Turtle Bay. Unless it has changed, I would recommend Turtle Bay - I also understand that Turtle Bay Beach Club is much better suited to families but lower quite a lot lower quality than Hemingways. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:29 AM

Phil, just my suspicions... but I suspect Turtle Bay will clear the beaches... like they do at Whitesands and Serena.

I've never suffered with seaweed. Is it that big an issue?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 04:44 AM

It was so long ago that I was at Turtle Bay, the beach club didn't even exist to clear the beach ! I think its more to do with the currents...

In my opinion it's not a big issue provided yoyu don't mind a bit of seaweed being stuck to your legs when your swimming ! If there's too much seaweed for your liking at Hemingways I think its only 200 yards to Turtle Bay but need some advice from someone who's been there more recently !
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Davez

I'm also a tour operator and advise against Hemingways in July.

I've never seen it, but my understanding is that when the seaweed comes, it is brought by currents and wind and very specific to certain bays. It can end up thigh deep on the beach and impossible to clear due to the amount in question.

Certainly Hemingways have always proved to be a particularly honest hotel - perhaps you could simple email and ask them the same question.

Richard
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM

I've been to Watamu and to Turtle Bay Beach Club several time, but like Philw, it was 20+ years ago when I was a bratty teen ! I do remember the weeds however. There was less to be found in April and December than in the middle of the year. Efforts were made (and probably still are) at low tide to rake away the mess but when the waters up, some of the softer slightly prickly stuff can still be a nuisance.

Lamu is wonderful; more Arabic than the rest of the Kenyan coast - and very interesting.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight. Lamu does look interesting but I wonder if there is enough to keep the kids occupied. Any thoughts? How about Zanzibar as an alternative? I appreciate any help.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Hi Davez,

I was going to mention in my first posting that a possible Lamu drawback may be that there isn't enough for the kids, but I will contact some of my local sources and see if I can get an update for you, as well as info on Zanzibar.

Friends from Canada recently (2003) visited Zanzibar and raved about it, but again, I believe it was from a grown-up perspective. How old are your kids ?
I'lll see what I can find.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Mathieu,
They are 13, 10, 8 and love scuba/snorkle, fishing, boating, etc.
Thanks for any help.
dDavez
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Davez

Yes, Lamu will work with children. It's not a good place for snorkelling until much later in the year as the water can be cloudy, but there is plenty available to keep everyone happy and penty more which can be arranged.

Lots of choice of accommodation from small traditional hotels such as Peponi in Shela Village, very smart small exclusive camps like Manda Bay (be careful of the costs of extras including activities if not on a fully inclusive basis) through to rustic beach camps such Kizingo.

Hope this helps, Richard