Botswana and Capetown in December

Aug 16th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Botswana and Capetown in December

My husband and I are planning a trip to Capetown and Okavango/Chobe in the beginning of December. Is this a bad time to go? What will safari be like? We chose December because of scheduling, but would consider postponing the trip if it's not a good time. Any information would be most helpful. Thanks.
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Check out the thread about Botswana in October/November. December is a little cooler than this period, but still the hot season and potentially a bit wet.

However December is excellent for SA-- the high season.
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:38 PM

ssyuvienco,

I cant comment on Botswana but I certainly can comment on Cape Town in December.

In your case a lot depends on when in December you are going to visit Cape Town. If your date of stay in the city is between 20 December and 4 January I would NOT visit Cape Town. Yes it is high season but funnilly enough that is exactly why I would not visit our city. Many local visitors (Other South Africans) all visit our city and they arrive in huge numbers. The main reason for locals coming to SA is that it is school holidays and most people take their annual leave over the December period in SA over this period. Furthermore 16, 25 and 26 December as well as 1 and 2 January are public holidays in the Cape region. All these factors create abnormal problems for visitors such as high prices for accommodation, lines (queues) to all events and experiences are long, traffic increases to levels of impossibilty, bookings for restaurants etc are difficult to make and overall the Cape Town experience is not as good as it normally is for visitors to our city. Many Capetonians hire out their houses or apartments so as to make "quick killings" but also to escape the mass onslaught on the city. This might sound crazy but it will illustrate a point when I tell you that I dont tour with visitors during the aforesaid period because of all the reasons that I have already stated, but mainly because these reasons make me look very unprofessional as a tourguide/operator.

Overall my suggestion as far as Cape Town would be that if your journey leaves you in our city over the period that I have mentioned and you have the opportunity to postpone your journey then do so, however whatever you do, please do not miss Cape Town as it is a very special place to visit. With that said the very best time to visit Cape Town is from 15 January onwards as all local visitors to the city will have left Cape Town and everything will have returned to normal.

Hope this does not mess up your plans and helps you to enjoy our country when you visit us.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Aug 17th, 2005, 04:26 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the above is an illustration of what you will find in botswana in december (light rain).
that did not diminish our enjoyment, as it meant lots of comfy temperatures, and interesting termites at dinner,(ON dinner)
and there were lots of stretches of just clouds. the animals were out and about as normal, though, in the delta. except the elephants had moved on from chobe.
i'd go. saves you a lot of money in the camps.

Search this Thread