Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Nice Map Of Sabi Sand Showing Actual Areas Owned By Private Game Reserves...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Rocco

http://www.djuma.co.za<BR><BR>(scroll down on your left and hit the link to maps, and then on the link &quot;The Sabi Sand&quot<BR><BR>I was very surprised to come across a map on one of the private game reserves websites that shows a map of the entire Sabi Sand reserve that perfectly maps out the areas owned by the neighboring (and competing) private game reserves. <BR>I think this is of tremendous benefit to anybody considering a stay at a private game reserve, as I, for one, would much rather stay at a lodge that owns a large amount of land than one that only owns a fraction. <BR>Keep in mind that game drives may last 3.5+ hours and unless you want to keep going in circles, it is beneficial to stay in a larger private game reserve.<BR>I know that during my stay at Singita earlier this year that each day we covered areas that we had never seen and we rarely even came across other Range Rovers from Singita, yet less from neighboring game reserves. <BR>However, for next April, I am looking for more reasonable accomodations than Singita and this map is of tremendous benefit. One of the lodges I was considering a stay has 90% less area than Singita! <BR>It appears the biggest reserves by area are:<BR>1. Mala Mala<BR>2. Londolozi (maybe 20% smaller than Mala Mala)<BR>3. Singita (just a tad smaller than Londolozi, but not signatory to the Conservation Corps as I believe Londolozi is, allowing the rangers at Singita to be much more liberal in their pursuit of animals offroad).<BR>4. Djuma (about half the size of Mala Mala but still ten times bigger than some others).<BR>5. Lion Sands (about 1/3 the size of Mala Mala but still attractive compared to others).<BR>6. Savanna (only about 15% the size of Mala Mala but still more than twice the size of the smallest ones out there).<BR>7. Sabi Sabi (about the same size as Savanna).<BR>8. Elephant Plains (smaller than Sabi Sabi but still double the size of others).<BR>From there on, the reserves tend to appear quite small. These reserves include Uluapa, Leopard Hills, Ulusaba, Dulini, Idube, Exeter, Simbambili, Chitwa Chitwa and Notten's. <BR>I did receive very reasonable quotations from Elephant Hills and Idube through one website that was quoting far lower than the prices listed on the game reserves websites. These were the only two that I remember seeing in the Sabi Sand reserve listed on that website.<BR>I would love some feedback from others that have stayed in some of the game reserves that may not have had as large an area as the top ones listed to hear of their experiences. Thanks.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Liz Frazier

Rocco-<BR>That is a wonderful map. Why would anyone want to stay anywhere but Mala Mala? Now I see why most of the wildlife films we see on TV pick that site when they do Kruger. Most of the films are in Botswana though. Have you ever been there? Really incredible! I would like to see a map on Moremi showing the camps and their areas. Its the areas, not the camps that people should look at. I've been to one camp that had a small area and you're right. It seemed we drove around in circles, never far from the camp. I really never realized this information was available. Could you find one of these in Botswana? Thanks a lot. Liz

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Rocco

Liz,<BR>While Mala Mala is absolutely huge, I felt during my stay at Singita that it was also very large and had no complaints at all.<BR>Now the trick is to find the most competitively priced game reserve that has the biggest area. The game reserves with the biggest areas (Mala Mala, Londolozi and Singita) are all around $1000 USD per night! While I stayed at Singita this year and loved it, my wife and I are taking my mom and a 4th person with us as well next April and need much more reasonable accomodations without sacrificing too much on quality. Of course very few places will compare with Singita, but if I can pay $650 per night total instead of $2000 per night, I will take it. However, that $650 per night (for two rooms and four adults) was at one of the smaller game reserves on the map. I guess the maximum I want to spend this time around is $500 per night, per couple. I know that Kirkman's Camp at Mala Mala is probably around that price range. However, I met a couple who had just arrived from Kirkman's Camp at Matetsi in Zimbabwe who were just in awe of their surroundings at Matetsi, while I, just fresh from Singita, was a little disappointed with Matetsi. This doesn't say a whole lot for Kirkman's Camp at Mala Mala.<BR>I was surprised at how limited the area of Sabi Sabi was, given their very high price tag. Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge is about the same price as Singita yet Sabi Sabi is only about 1/4 the size of Singita.<BR>One game reserve that I did not see listed was the Royal Malewane, and I have heard only great things about the Royal Malewane, although it is about $800+ per night per couple, and more than I want to spend.<BR>What I would really like to know is if the smaller game reserves allow neighboring game reserves to drive on their property, which would seem beneficial, or if they are very strict about keeping within their own property.<BR>As far as Botswana goes, I would love to go to Botswana, but it won't happen on this trip. I need to spend four nights in Europe at the end of this trip, as I am planning on running a marathon in Europe at the end of this trip. Maybe in 2004 when I plan to challenge myself to the Two Oceans Ultra Marathon (56 Kilometers) in Cape Town, I'll have a chance to spend some time in Botswana.<BR>All I can say is that I pray that my business and my wife's business does well so that I can go to Africa at least every other year and possibly in a few years buy a home in Cape Town! Watch out for those 17% interest rates though. Ouch! A seaside home in Cape Town is about 1/4 the price of one in Los Angeles, that much is certain.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Rocco

Updating to show size of game reserves. (Wow, when I am not inviting flames for submitting top 100 lists I am sometimes useful on this board).

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Liz Frazier

Rocco-<BR>I think you are always useful on this site. When you get the anonymous flame, just comment that when they identify themselves you will accept their message. I didn't want to jump into the mess. You have really provided us a lot of good information. Liz

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Deb

Hi Rocco,<BR><BR>Thanks for the information. FYI...I have stayed at Idube...although it is not Mala Mala or Singita, it is pleasant and it is where I finally saw the Big Five - I had failed to see a leopard on my previous safari. It is significantly cheaper than Mala or Singita as well. BTW, I did see 4X4s from the other camps in the area on our drives so I really don't believe that each camp is limited to their &quot;own&quot; space.<BR><BR>One of the most astonishing sights was a herd of 150+ buffalos facing a large pride of lions - talk about tension in the air.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:45 AM
tony

Another private reserve well worth the visit - and a lot cheaper than most private reserves in the area , is Kapama , south of Hoedspruit, which understand has its latest rates are around R 1.500 per night per person sharing - less than $ 200 ... They have a couple of campls with much the same facilities as the more &quot;famous&quot; reserves . They have their own web site <BR>- do not recall address but &quot;Kapama&quot; search word will find it immediately<BR><BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:30 PM
RnR

Rocco, I read your long paragraph with great interest. It's not completely clear how much you think MalaMala is per night - I believe you ended up saying KK is about $500 per person. That is about right. In that area, by Kruger, you can pay up to $1,000 pp, but it's not necessary. Singita offers luxury, as do some others there. Some properties are tiny, but that make up for it by formally sharing with other lodges. May I also suggest you consider Phinda Forest Lodge in the Natal area - excellent game viewing, actually better than next to Kruger in our experience. And by all means you must visit the Okavanga Delta in Botswana for terrific viewing. Good travels and hope that business stays good for you!

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update. Just want to show somebody else a map showing the borders of the game reserves.