Botlierskop Game Park, etc.

Mar 9th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Botlierskop Game Park, etc.

Time frame is ~April 6-11.
1. Please provide feedback and advice regarding this game park. Any tales from using the quad-runners?
2. Same as question 1 for Monkeyland.
3. Approximately how long does it take to drive from Oudtshoorn through Swartberg Pass to Klaarstroom to De Rust to Oudsthoorn? How bad are the unpaved roads? I would be using a compact 2-wheel drive automatic.
4. Do you know what the weight limit is for riding an ostrich?
That's all for now! Thank-you!
Mar 10th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Jay

Can only speak to Q3. The Swartberg pass itself was about 20km and took me about an hour to drive back in 94. I did it in a Honda Civic, so no great problems there. One thing to remember, many of the rental car companies forbid driving on sand roads, I just didn't tell them I did.
Mar 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

thanks, matt.
Mar 17th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Botlierskop is wonderful! highly recommended. Now, you have to be aware that it can in no way be compared to one of the huge private game reserves near kruger, but they try very hard to make you feel like you are "out there in the bush". You sleep in luxury tents on stilts, very chic, very hemingway.

the lions are fenced in (but in a rather big area), not free roaming. but everything else is out and about, zebras, giraffes, all kinds of antelope, buffalo, rhino, monkeys etc. the quad safari was a lot of fun, very close feeling to nature (if you don't mind the noise
also recommended: the elephant ride. yes, its touristy, but the two elephants they have were rescued from areas wehre they were about to be killed. the ride takes you an hour on elephant back through the roughs of the reserve, and the guide that sits in front of you will explain nature and point out lots of details.

Search this Thread