Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Bot/Vic Falls/SA in Feb. (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/bot-vic-falls-sa-in-feb-547061/)

ShayTay Jul 26th, 2005 02:41 PM

Bot/Vic Falls/SA in Feb.

I'm going to Botswana (3 WS camps), Victoria Falls (Ilala Lodge) and Kirkman's Kamp in Sabi Sands in February 2006 (green season for photos). 4 people dropped out of our 8-person safari today...anyone interested in going?

jasher Jul 27th, 2005 02:31 AM

Hello ShayTay,

Sounds intriguing -- what's the itinerary like, and how much would it cost for a single person?

Cheers,
Julian

ShayTay Jul 27th, 2005 10:37 AM

Feb. 1 - Depart USA
Feb. 2 - Arrive Jo'burg - Overnight at Airport Holiday Inn Garden Court
Feb. 3 to 5 - Fly to Maun, then on to Chitabe Camp, Moremi Reserve, for 3 nights
Feb 6 to 7 - Tubu Tree Camp, Jao Concession
Feb 8 to 10 - Duma Tau Camp, Linyati
Feb. 11 - Fly to Kasane, by road to Victoria Falls (Ilala Lodge)
Feb. 12 - Fly to Jo'burg, overnight at Holiday Inn
Feb. 13 to 15 - Fly to airport near Kruger Park. 3 nights at Kirkman's Kamp (formerly part of MalaMala)
Feb. 16 - Return to Jo'burg for evening departure
Feb. 17 - Return to USA

The price is $6,295. Single Supp is $1,600. Scheduled flights are extra (intra-Africa flights estimated at $600 and flights from/to US, $1,400.) If coming from another country, dates and air costs to/from SA would be different.

Extensions in South Africa available.

To check out the camps/lodges see:

www.wilderness-safaris.com
www.ilalalodge.com
www.exeterlodges.com

Thanks!

jasher Jul 28th, 2005 02:29 AM

Hello ShayTay,

Thanks for your email. I'm afraid I'm not interested after all -- the single supplement is too steep for a green season safari.

Cheers,
Julian

ShayTay Jul 28th, 2005 10:30 AM

Sorry to hear it, Julian. As you always travel solo, you probably have a good idea of what an appropriate single supplement would be on this trip. What do you think would be the correct amount?

one2travel Jul 28th, 2005 12:43 PM

This does sound intriguing albeit expensive.

In answer to the high single supplement, I looked at the websites and on the Kirkman's website, it clearly says they tack on an additional additional 50% for a single. That makes the nightly cost rates of 2800ZAR with the 50% = 4200ZAR. At current rates that makes the cost per night for the single an additional $210USD; multiply that amount by the other camps and the price doesn't seem out of line.

Deb

jasher Jul 29th, 2005 03:05 AM

Hi ShayTay,

In the green season I would expect for the single supplement to be waived entirely, or if not waived to be minimal.

I'm not sure what agency you're using, but as Deb pointed out the quote seems a bit on the high side. For my last trip in June/July 2005, incorporating 3 nights Duma Tau, 4 nights Little Vumbura, 3 nights Madikwe Safari Lodge, 5 nights Londolozi, transfers (including a charter flight directly Londoz to Joburg), I paid about $100 more, and that was in June and July. Admittedly, a special offer at the CCA camps did bring the price down, but you can see where I'm coming from.

Cheers,
Julian

ShayTay Jul 29th, 2005 09:55 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments. It seems that the world has figured out that the "green season" in Southern Africa isn't so bad, after all! Space in the WS camps is almost gone, so I hate to have to release the extra tents, but my safari consultant say I'll have to do so next week.

As to the price, it seems all the camps and lodges are raising their prices for next year. For example, Kirkman's, which was considered a good value for its price this year (R2800 = $400) is going up in cost to over $500/day next year. I think WS is doing the same. This same trip for August 2006 was quoted at around $9,000. No doubt there is profit built into the price, but Wilderness doesn't deal with travelers directly. You have to go through a safari consultant.

jasher Jul 29th, 2005 10:11 AM

Good luck finding some people to fill your spots.

Cheers,
Julian