Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   BOOKS FOR 6 AFRICAN COUNTRIES (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/books-for-6-african-countries-854940/)

LEANNA Aug 16th, 2010 12:41 PM

BOOKS FOR 6 AFRICAN COUNTRIES

Hey ho..smart people!! I am off to: Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Mozambique,
Swaziland and South Africa in Oct.

I need books to read to prepare and also to enjoy! I have just read the entire #1 Detective Agency books and loved them and will download Mandela's autobio onto my Kindle to read on the journey as I will be going to Robben Island.

Now what else is good???

I love historical fiction and its a fun way to get the facts, but also don't mind a good bio/autobio if it's not too dry. I would like to read a bio about Stanley and Livingston so if anyone knows of a good one please feel free to suggest it.

Thanks to all!!!

sandi Aug 16th, 2010 01:18 PM

Do a search on this board. There have been many threads over the years about books with African themes, fiction and non-fiction.

LEANNA Aug 16th, 2010 09:37 PM

I have searched and read most the stuff talked about. I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas or new books I might have missed.

ShayTay Aug 18th, 2010 08:25 AM

Here's a few that you can get on Kindle:

"Into Africa" by Martin Dugard. The story of Livingstone and Stanley. You can also get many of Livingstone's own writings and journals on Kindle; just do a search.

"Secrets of the Savannah" by Mark & Delia Owens

"Whatever You Do, Don't Run" and "Don't Look Behind You" by Peter Allison

"The Last Resort" by Douglas Rogers (just downloaded this on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet)

"Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" and "Scribbling the Cat" by Alexandra Fuller

That ought to get you started!

LEANNA Aug 18th, 2010 06:49 PM

ShayTay.....THANK YOU!!! very much!!!! Im on my way to Amazon....and the library!!!!

ShayTay Aug 18th, 2010 09:26 PM

Now that I've come home and checked my library, here are a few more:

By Michael Stanley, some interesting detective stories set in Botswana (both are available on Kindle):

"A Carrion Death" and "The Second Death of Goodluck Tinubu"

By Peter Godwin, autobiographical books by a man who grew up in Zimbabwe:

"Mukiwa" and "When a Crocodile Eats the Sun" (second one available on Kindle)

By Mark Mathabane, who endured, then fled apartheid in South Africa:

"Kaffir Boy" and "Kaffir Boy in America" (second one available on Kindle)

Happy Reading! BTW, if you are taking cameras, iPods, video cameras, etc., you can find PDF copies of their instruction manuals online and download them onto your Kindle... same with your travel insurance policy, itinerary, etc. The latest software update significantly improved the functionality of PDF files on the Kindle.

Lillipets Aug 19th, 2010 08:41 AM

ShayTay
The Last Resort is a WONDERFUL book! I don't know of anyone else on this forum who has read it.
I'd love to hear what you think of it when you're done.

ShayTay Aug 19th, 2010 09:00 AM

Will do, Lillipets! I may save it for the long flights ahead. I've got a stack of "regular" books by my bedside.

Another book available on Kindle is "20 Chickens for a Saddle" by Robyn Scott; it's an autobiography about growing up in Botswana.

thewhitefrog Aug 19th, 2010 09:09 AM

Lillipets, ShayTay, many thanks for recommending my book The Last Resort to Leanna. Leanna, if you get the book and read it before or while you are in Zimbabwe, please feel free to visit my parents' and their lodge, the subject of the story.

The book is out in paperback in the US on Sept 7th with an epilogue, but if any of you read the US (frog cover) edition I'm more than happy to email you the epilogue.

Get hold of me at [email protected]

Thanks and all best!

Douglas

www.douglasrogers.org

Elizabeth_S Aug 19th, 2010 09:45 AM

An old detective series set in South Africa is Cramer and Zondi - set in apartheid times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kramer_and_Zondi

ShayTay Aug 19th, 2010 01:03 PM

Thanks, Douglas! I'm looking forward to reading it. I'll e-mail you about the epilogue.

Celia Aug 19th, 2010 04:24 PM

Yes, Elizabeth! The Kramer and Zondi series by James McClure is good!

LEANNA Aug 19th, 2010 05:30 PM

I managed to order 5 of the first 6 from my library so they will be in by next week!!! Drool!!!! I will be so happy reading away and it will take up some of the excitment till Oct. As soon as I finish these I will order more. Then what I can't get to I will get on my Kindle. I have to save some $$$ so I can shop on the trip!!! :)

Douglas how very kind and gracious you are!!! I will be on the Shongololo so if we have time or space I will def. take you up on the offer. It would be thrilling to visit the actual spot!

Elizabeth, I will also check up on the detective books. They also would be fun while on the road.

Really truly...thank you all......my cup runneth over!! xoxo

kimssouthafrica Aug 19th, 2010 09:24 PM

Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton (Nobel Peace Winner), Defiance by J Coetzee about post apartheid SA, Fielas se Kind (English version Fielas Child).
www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

321go Aug 20th, 2010 08:16 AM

"The book is out in paperback in the US on Sept 7th with an epilogue" I've pre-ordered the paperback at Amazon and am looking forward to reading it.

"Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" is one of the best memoirs I've ever read. Highly recommended. "Twenty Chickens for a Saddle" read like what Alexandra Fuller's life could have been like in a more stable country with less eccentric parents (though Robin Scott's parents - and grandparents - are fascinating).

A few more recommendations:
Zimbabwe:
"African Laughter" by Doris Lessing
"Rainbow's End" by Lauren St. John

Zambia:
"Africa House" by Christina Lamb

Botswana
"Botswana Time" by Will Randall

LEANNA Aug 20th, 2010 08:30 PM

OH wow!!! Got an email and the first load I ordered are in....so I'll be that lady walking the street w/ a book in her face! Wrote down these new ones and will add them to the list. We also have very long street lights here so I put the car into park and read...I can cover a page to a page in a half!!! I know shocking!

Have read "Cry the Beloved Country" 2 or 3 times in my life. I had a fabulous teacher for senior government and we read it as a class project and discussed it. It was a delicious happening and I smart enough to know it even at 17.

I also thought the movie was excellent and the moment w/ Jones first goes to talks to Harrison....the way he takes off his hat.....that one gesture...told the story!!!! James Earl should have won the oscar that year!!

Anyway..thanks again...but now I have to go read!!! :):)

kimssouthafrica Aug 22nd, 2010 07:09 AM

I meant Disgrace by Jm Coetzee, not Defiance. A poignant look at the authors take on whites in modern post apartheid SA.
www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

sundowner Aug 22nd, 2010 02:20 PM

I have read many/most of these books and dozens more. My favorites are below. Except the first 3 (which are still kind of new) I have read them at least 3 times. I normally do not read a book more than once.

"Mukiwa" and "When a Crocodile Eats the Sun", Peter Godwin,

"The Last Resort" by Douglas Rogers - I read this on my Kindle a couple of weeks ago. <b>Congratulations, Douglas! Beautiful book and a wonderful family.</b>

"Cry of the Kalahari" Mark and Delia Owens

and the books written by Martin and Osa Johnson about their time in Africa in the early to mid 1900's
"I Married Adventure: The Lives and Adventures of Martin and Osa Johnson"
"Four Years in Paradise"

"The Cowboy and His Elephant: The Story of a Remarkable Friendship" Malcolm Macpherson. This is an amazing story and it will make you laugh and cry. Don't judge this book by the first chapter because it's different than the rest of the book.

samcat Aug 22nd, 2010 03:12 PM

Though I've read many of these, I look forward to reading more.

The Power of One is another good one.

LEANNA Aug 22nd, 2010 06:22 PM

Have copied down all of these new ideas. Thank you all!!! Was working on my notes today and read all about Ndebele beading. Fascinating. I bought a ton of bead work when I was in Kenya and Tanzi..looks like I'll be buying more on this trip.

I have read The Power of One and its sequels......excellent books. I also though the movie was quite good.

Again..thank you all!