Search

Debbie in Cairo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debbie in Cairo

Debbie could you fill us in on the tourist situation in Cairo with all the protesting going on.

I am sure it is concentrated to Tahrir Square and most tourist sites are no effected. Right !?
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 09:41 PM

Hi Percy.

I'm supposed to go down town today and tomorrow to Christmas Bazaars. Let me do that and come back to report what happens and what I see.

Todays bazaar is across the river at the German School in Dooki so I need to go down past the Museum to get there.
Tomorrows bazaar is at the Conrad Hotel - not too far from Tahrir.

Will let you know what I hear/see.

I haven't been out of Heliopolis much recently - and everything here is OK with the exception of a mass rally LAST Friday at the Presidents Palace that I could hear, but saw nothing of it... even though I'm about 1 mile from it.

Debbie
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 09:35 PM

Yesterdays bazaar at the German School was good and totally uneventful. Getting to it and back from it was the same. There were people in Tahrir Sq we could see from the highway, but it was fine for driving and getting around as long as we avoided the square exactly.

The bazaar for today at the Conrad has been postponed until next weekend or later - will let you know. They felt because of the Muslim Brothers protest happening today (even though it is going to be clear over at Cairo Univ instead of at Tahrir Sq now) people would be unwilling to come out and shop. Too bad in my opinion, but will go next week if they have it then.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information Debbie.

So tourism to Cairo is okay for 95 % of the places.
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:13 AM

I recommend staying in a hotel in Heliopolis, Zamalek, or even Giza rather than anywhere near Tahrir Sq., and come to see the sites rather than to mingle in downtown or around Tahrir Sq. Have a guide or a good friend that lives here help you make your way around, and you will be fine.
The back packer tourist type that used to hang out in Tahrir and meet up with the touts that offered to help are at more risk than someone that comes with a plan in mind and someone trusted to help them. A knowledgeable Egyptian will know the best way out, if you need it.