Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Booking flights on short notice between Istanbul, Cairo and Athens

Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying into Athens Oct. 3 for a Turkey / Egypt / Greece trip on a shoestring budget. I do not have any further flights booked but hoped to go immediately on from the Athens airport to Istanbul. I have never traveled to this part of the world before and am not a frequent flyer anyway. As things stand I can purchase a flight from ATH to IST the afternoon of my arrival for about 150$. Many flights are significantly cheaper but apparently that Sunday is a bigger travel day. Because I don't know how long I want to stay in Turkey before moving on to Egypt and finally back to visit Greece (best guess is a week in Turkey and Egypt with a few days at the end to see some of Greece) I have not yet booked those one way flights. I'm monitoring the prices for ATH to IST and they change frequently up and down.

I would love to hear more experienced travelers thoughts on whether I should book everything now and just live with the set schedule. I am assuming because travel is still below normal that I am not going to get stuck without a flight.

ETA: Someone already told me I may be denied entry to a country if I can't show a departing flight
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 02:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just quick . . . "I am assuming because travel is still below normal that I am not going to get stuck without a flight"

Actually it could be just the opposite. Where travel has opened up (like Greece) there is a LOT of pent up holiday demand but airlines have trimmed their schedules by cancelling and/or combining many flights. So flights on some routes are running very full.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Janis
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 10:27 PM

That sounds like a great adventure, but with the uncertainty brought on by Covid, I won’t be making any multi-country trips for now. Be sure you know the entry requirements, including tests, vaccinations and forms for each country. Have a backup plan in case you test positive along the way. Lastly, I hope all goes well, and you have a wonderful trip.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 06:04 AM

I agree with Heimdall on multi-country travel. I normally enjoy it and have done it on many occasions, but not during COVID. Besides, if you only have one week in each country, then you don't have very much time and will be well occupied in each of the countries you've named. I went to Egypt last November - first international trip during the pandemic - spent 17 nights and felt it was the perfect length. Given the reduced number of visitors due to the pandemic, we were able to enjoy all of the blockbuster sights - Giza pyramids, the Egyptian Museum, Karnak Temple, Valleys of the Kings and Queens - largely to ourselves and undisturbed. Click on my screen name for my trip report from last year if you would like an idea of what an itinerary could look like.

I could easily spend 3 to 4 weeks on a good pace in Turkey and not run out of places to see, things to explore, etc., and I am what many would consider a fast traveler. In addition to Istanbul, take a look at Cappadocia, the area around Izmir / Kusadasi, Antalya and the Aegean coast, the Black Sea coast.

If you really want to visit all three countries, at least try to nail down your dates and book multi-city itineraries. I don't know where you are flying from but I imagine the easiest would be to go with Turkish Airlines as they cover all the places you named. You could book an outbound Home City-Istanbul-Cairo leg with the stopover in Istanbul being the length of time you want to spend in Turkey, a leg that goes Cairo-Istanbul-Athens, and finally Athens-Istanbul-Home City. When I went to Egypt last year, I don't recall immigration checking for flights out of the country but this could just be the agent and / or the time and place in which I entered.